EMG TW Neck Or Bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bartfart2112, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Bartfart2112

Bartfart2112

Jan 31, 2017
    I under bid on a EMG CS and a TWX online and wasn't expecting to win either, but somehow got both. I have a 5 String Spector that currently has DC's in neck and bridge and looking for change. I also have a Spector 4 with a P35 (Neck) and TWX (Bridge) which I love.

Before I install the TWX and change out pots, I was curious what other people thought or have done in the past. What combo would you feel would sound best for you? (This bass plays mainly rock/pop variety cover band)

2 DCs
    1 TWX
    1 CS

I've scoured threads and didn't find much on TWX/CS set up, curious if anyone out there has done this?

GlassToMouth likes this.
  2. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    I'd say go with the neck. Single on the neck with humbucker on the bridge is a classic combo. As for CS or DC just try yourself and share your experience with us. Changing EMG's is really a matter of minutes.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  3. Bartfart2112

Bartfart2112

Jan 31, 2017

4. Bartfart2112

Bartfart2112

Jan 31, 2017
    That's what I am learning towards for initial set up. Unfortunately the TWX has a pull pot, and different wiring so it takes a little more effort to swap out

5. Not sure if this will be helpful, but I currently have 3 EMG equipped basses, used to have a fourth. My former main has the 40DC in the bridge and the 40J in the neck. I tried the other way around, but prefer the way it is now. My current main has a pair of 45TWX's with the bridge TWX flipped so the single coil setting favors the neck. LOVE this combo. My 2nd most used setting is the odd choice of dual coil neck, single coil bridge. My favorite being both on single. I also used to have a Peavey Grind with a set of 40DC's. I liked but didn't love it. I never enjoyed the tone of a DC neck soloed in any of my experiments. Shameless plug, but I have a video where I demonstrate all pickup settings of my TWX's. Perhaps this will help even though we have 2 very different (and fantastic) basses.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    jesterbass, Rickter and Turxile like this.
  6. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I like H neck, S bridge too.
    I think of it like a reverse FNA.

Rickter and GlassToMouth like this.
  7. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    If it were me, I think I would put the TW in the neck and CS in the bridge. My old Steinberger XM2 is really the tone I dig and the old HB SS are just a take on P pups. With my current situation I have to use a 5 string and ended up going with 40P5 in both positions and it's fairly close to the XM2...I tend to favor the neck more and since I tend to favor P vibe, I am guessing I would likely use the single coil mode of the TW...just a thought.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021