Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG TW series

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Okay, somebody shed some light on these pickups for me. That seem like something I would really like to use on a future project, but I'm not quite sure I get the setup.

The blurbs on the EMG site seem to indicate that the unit is basically two separate pickups in one housing. It also seems to imply that each internal pickup could be routed to a different active tone circuit. True?

Here's the direction I was going. Seems you could have two different EQ circuits in the bass, one for the single coil mode and one for the dual coil mode. You could have different settings on each one based on what you like for that pickup and then using the coil tap switch would make a huge difference sonically.

Of course, what about using two TW's in the same bass? Any insight on how these are intended to used versus how they *might* be used would be greatly appreciated. Electronics are not a strong suit for me . . . . and I'm just not bright enough to figure it out on my own!

Thanks!
    Sean
    www.stampedeband.net

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It's like a triple coil:
    You can get series/parallel humcancelling with the two p-ups and also have a single-coil with the other pair cancelling hum (at least so I assume, as it would not be logical to do it in an other way).
    However, I think the one Bart made for MM basses is better thought-out: one coil, a dummy coil and the other coil. Series, parallel, noiseless single-coil - and you can select which you want to use: the neck or the bridge one.

If you want to, you can use two different preamps for each of the dual-coils (if it's a 4-conductor-wire; or any two different p-ups, like the two p-ups of a Jazz).
    In fact, there were some basses (Warwick Streamer Pro M, Fortress Masterman) that had "twin J" p-ups right next to each other like a humbucker, and each had their own volume and tone controls.

While I think it can be cool, but a series/parallel/single-coil switch might be more useful, might make it more versatile

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Well, they're intended to be used like the description says. It's a dual coil 35CS (think a fat, MM like tone) with the ability to switch to a 35J which is a fairly bright jazz tone but with incredible slap tone (believe me, ;) ). It gives you the ability to have a DC/DC, DC/J, J/DC, J/J pickup configuration without changing basses or pickups. I've been wanting to replace my bridge 35J pickup with a TW so I can get a MM/J type of sound with more fatness than just 2 35J's.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who was thinking of getting 35J's or 35CS (Dual Coils in Ceramic and Steel housing, hence warmer) should just get the TWs since you get both for about the same price.

Hope that helped a little.

-Eric.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    By DC you mean Dual Coil, yes, and not the model DC? The actual dual mode of the TW would be the same as the CS (Ceramic Steel) Series.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yes. The DC and CS are both Dual Coil pickups. The CS is just a little warmer while the DC is a little more brittle. Les Claypool uses DC's.

In the TW it's the CS and J. Sorry for the confusion.

-Eric.

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    ;)

I like DCs at the neck and CSs at the bridge.

My fretless will have a 40J at the neck and the 40TW at the bridge, if I ever get it...

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    A lot of people have said that a DC in the neck and CS at the bridge is THE way to go. I have also seen J and TW combos on Spectors and they sound incredible.

Post sound clips, if you ever get that fretless.

-Eric.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As always, keep in mind that the single coil will have significantly less volume. I was interested in the TW for a custom, and at the time EMG was working on the idea of having two separate internal preamps (instead of one) in the pickup, to compensate. I don't know if it ever happened, you'll have to check with EMG.

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Oh, I have the fretless, just has HZ's in them. They're okay, but I really want to go the J/TW route to spice things up even more!

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    A friend of mine who is an endorsee has an EMG PA2 booster circuit wired into the single coil output of his TW, I've got one of these as well for when I finally get the TW...need to find the diagram to wire it properly though...

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Any active EMG soapbars will add an incredible amount of EVERYTHING to your tone when you switch out the HZs. I went from HZs to 2 EMG 35J's. Best thing I've ever done.

I can't wait til I have the money for at least 1 TW to put in my bass.

-Eric.

12. Hey I had acctually asked the question if it was possible to put a PA2 in a bass on my thread: Help w/EMG's in LTD C-304. I am acctually considering installing a 35TW and a 35J in my bass. If I do put in the 35J I will more than likely install the PA2 on that p-up. Does any one know wether or not you can install the PI2 in a bass? What effect it would have on the sound? I have one just collecting dust. I want to put it in some thing. possible it could go in my non-bass guitar. :meh: Thats what it was bought for but I never play it. I am now a full time bassist :D