EMG upgrade for Spector NS-2A- Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Jan 29, 2006.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I want to replace the "spector" brand pups in one of my NS-2As with an EMG P/J set I have here. But I'm almost sure I've read something around here about not using EMGs with another maker's preamp. I can't tell what kind of pre is in the Spector now, but I'm pretty sure it's not an EMG- it's on a whitish-colored circuit board, rather than being the usual separate pots you'd normally see with EMG pres. I bought the bass used, but everything looks stock. I'm almost certain it is stock, because the circuit board matches the weird shape of the control cavity. My questions are as follows:

1) Can I use EMGs with the pre from an NS-2A? I know the earlier NS-2 uses EMGs with a Hazlab (sp?) pre, but my guess is that Spector reserved that pre for their more elaborate USA models, so I don't know what type I have. Will there be any compatibility issues?

2) In addition to the hot and ground wires, each pup has a red wire that I assume is for the battery. Do they go straight to the red of the battery, or do they go somewhere else first? The original pups are passive, so there's no red battery wire for me to use as a reference.

3) IIRC, the last set of EMGs I used (years ago) did not require bridge grounding. This preamp sends a ground wire to the bridge. Should I leave the ground as it is or disconnect it if I install the EMGs?

For those that know EMG enough to help me out but don't know much about import Spectors, the NS-2A is the import model of the NS-2 four string- neck-thru, curved, standard NS shape, but minus the flamed maple wings/crown inlays/gold hardware. Thanks to all who respond.
  2. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    yes you can upgrade the p/u to EMG on a NS2A.....

i own one(NS2A) and i upgraded the p/u a long time ago...
    all i did was....buy the pick up set and take it to the luthier..
    and let me tell you it sounds very good....yes you will notice the difference.....

and if i'm not wrong i think Spector pick ups were the same as EMG SELECTS

i would say go for it and good luck
  3. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    1) emgs will work well with the stock preamp. this is the most common upgrade that i have seen on this bass. the stock spector/emg selects are crap. the pre will run active or passive pickups.

2) yes, the red wire goes directly to the battery.

3) leave the bridge ground. the preamp is descent, but you might get extra unwanted noise without the pre being grounded to bridge.
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Spend the extra cash and upgrade the preamp as well, it is VERY worth it. I use the EMG BQC preamp in all of my Spectors and it makes them sing. It is great having the Mid control.