1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG V/V/T/T Help (Solved)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RyanOh, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I'm a bit confused on this one. Schecter bass that has two EMG-HZ soapbars.
    I have two of these basses from different years, one is 2 volumes plus 2 band eq, 4 pots.
    The other is volume, blend, plus 2 band eq, 4 pots. I'm not a fan of blend knobs.

I'm replacing the pickups that has the blend knob with: 2 volume, 2 passive tone.
    I got EMG 35P4 in neck and EMG-35TW in bridge position.
    The TW has a push pull pot and lots of wiring options, but I'm using it as pickup volume.

So, I can wire both pickups to volume going to the passive tone and then to the output jack.
    Both pickups work, knobs and all.

Now I'm trying to combine the output using the EMG box in the middle of the pictures.
    There is a black buss that shows BR IN, NK IN and OUT. Neck + bridge input, output to jack.

When I do this, I get nothing for output. If I reverse the output pins, I get sound but it's buzzy and bad. Side note, I've done nothing with the bridge ground wire.

How do I correctly wire this for V/V/T/T?
    20181216_202309. 20181216_202324. 20181216_202353.
    Left to right, the pots are:
    bridge TW volume, then tone.
    neck P4 volume (top), then tone (bottom right).

The jack is a TRS Switchcraft #12B (didn't come with this kit, but I believe it's correct type)
    All the EMG pots used are 25k.

I've never tried to install soapbars like this before, only jazz sets and in general I've got little experience doing pickup installs.

2. You use the bus if you have a pickup selector switch. But since you’re not using a switch, you need to add jumpers to the green switch terminals.

There’s 3 terminals: Neck, Bridge, output. You need to connect both bridge and neck terminals to the output. Once you do this, the bus should work as intended.

RobTheRiot, Slater and RyanOh like this.
  3. RyanOh

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    RyanOh likes this.
  5. RyanOh

I got it! Wires from BR and NK to O on the green block. I didn't realize that was required. I posted the link to the schematic for that wiring block and all the options in my last post.

Thanks a lot.

6. RyanOh

Well, almost. The neck volume is acting as a master. Full pickups works fine, but turning down neck gives 0 output on neck and bridge.

I'll read more, this is a big help.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Why are you using the terminal block, instead of following EMG’s V/V/T diagram? Seems unnecessarily complicated. I don’t think the two passive tones are going to have any advantage over a single master tone. I would use diagram #9 in the TW instructions, but with one P4 (obviously).

8. RyanOh

Volume pot has 6 pins, pickup goes to center pins to make independent volume control. If output goes to center pins and pickup goes to either set of pins, it's a master volume.

https://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/v/o/volume_control_0230-0161b.pdf

Easy switch and does what I want...which is a 4 knob config. May not do anything remarkable but I had all the parts on hand. May put in an active EQ in the future.

9. UNCLE SUSAN

UNCLE SUSAN Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Necromancer//
    I am trying to do the same thing without the green/red/black bus. I'm almost getting it but not quite. I've got it wired VVTT instead of VTVT. Basically the tone of the tone and not the tone of each pickup, independently. Any diagrams for solderless pots out there?