1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG V's Basslines for 5 string Shuker bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnebass, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    I need help...............

I have 5 string thru neck shuker bass which is gorgeous however the EMG passive HZ's that are on there make it sound very thin and I am after a nice warm fat sound with loads of punch, therefore have decided to go with active pichups and are now looking at either active EMG's or Seymour Duncan Basslines. Both will fit nicely into the bass, the issue is not knowing how they are going to sound. My options are:

Option One
    2 x Basslines ASB2-5

Option Two
    1 x EMG 40CS (Bridge)
    1 x EMG 40DC (Neck)

Option Three
    2 x EMG 40 DC

Has anyone out there got any experience with this? All this chopping and changing around is getting expensive so any opinions from you guys would be gratfully received.

Ta

John

2. Wow, I've got a Shuker bass on the way, I've pencilled in the EMG's - CS at the Bridge and DC at the neck. I've read that the DC has a very powerful and brittle sound but 2 of them can be a bit much. The consensus on these EMG's seems to be that you need the CS to add warmth to the DC.

I tried a Bass with this config at Jons Workshop and it sounded excellent, a very big, warm sound and variable tone.

Haven't tried the Basslines but heard really good things about them. Gonna watch this thread with interest though as I'm not 100% set with the pick ups yet.

3. i would say #2 sounds good to me, but another option would be to get EMG TWs and have two sound options in each position. that is my plan for my new build