EMG vs Duncans vs Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbrains, Oct 16, 2002.

1. What is each manufactures signiture voice. I'm looking for a P/J combo that is natural sounding and cuts through the mix well. Funky slapping type stuff.
  2. Forgot to add the bass is a yamaha BB1600 the ugly one No Doubts bass player used to use. It's alder with maple neck rosewood fingerboard it's a bolt on and sounds pretty good.

Amp is a SWR SM400S with 4x10 cab
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have an EMG pj setup on my Fodera Vic Wooten classic. Sounds awesome. Lots of punch, strong tone

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you want good cut and a slap tone that most men would kill for, EMG is the way to go. But natural sounding? Like when you hit the string really hard it sounds farty and flappy (vintage sounding, 60's reiss j bass)? Well, EMG won't do that... but they sound AMAZING! The experience I've had with them was that an onboard preamp does wonders for the versatility of the system.

For Example: I could play "Dazed and confused" with the tone exact, then rotate some knobs and lay down the crispiest, nicest slappy funk tone (Let's say "Come Original" from 311) without touching the amp.

But with a standard "vol-vol-tone" system, you just have to get used to where the tone knob should be.

Easy to install, easy to set up, great sound, high output, great for slap. EMG, baby!
  5. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    how come your name is "bassbrains" but on your post under thread starter, it says started by "fat boobies" ??
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some confusion - You mention you want "natural sounding" and you also want "funky slapping type stuff."

Well, classic-sounding "funky slap" pups hardly sound "natural." Slap pups typically cut out the mids and emphasize the highs and the lows.

Fine "natural-sounding" pups capture the full tonal range.

I don't currently own any basses with EMG's, but if you want something great for slap and funk, they are about as good as it gets, as bike and rojo say.

If you want natural sound that captures the nuances of your tonewoods and your touch, I'd say go for Bartolinis, particularly their soapbars.
  7. Because of my amazing knowledge on gear the moderators wanted to name me bass brains. (besides fat boobies wasn't appropreate in frount of the kids, and I was getting complants, hate mail, had to move house three times pretty nasty stuff)

Thanks for your replys I'll give EMG a go.
    By the way that Victor Wooton bass is so cool :D
  8. Cool rickbass I guess that means I have to buy more Basses. In that case what will my old yammy be better suited for????
  9. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Darn, I though fat boobies was a great name!
  10. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, and go with the EMGs. I put some in my Ibanez sr400 which has p/j config and it was a huge improvement over the terrible sounding stock pickups(sr400 is a cheaper model). you can't beat EMGs in p/j config for the slapping funk, except maybe EMGs in jazz config, but anyway go EMG. And if you want to hear an example first, listen to stuff off of Wooten's first album.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whoops! I forgot you asked about Duncans, too.

I can't generalize about them because they have Basslines and they have Seymour Duncan Aniquities - two different "breeds."

The Basslines division is run by Kevn Beller, not directly by Seymour. The passive Basslines are aggressive have some "dirt". Active Basslines generally fall between the "over the top" EMG's and the "naturalness" of the smoother Bartolinis. (That's actually what the people at Basslines will tell you).

They use both the rougher sounding ceramic magnets and the smoother sounding Alnico magnets depending on the pickup.....sometimes your choice on a given model. They make some serious slap pups. They can sound aggressive when played aggressively or they can give some warmth with a lighter touch.

The company also makes vintage-style pickups faithful to classic Fender tones. The man himself, Seymour, actually winds the Aniquity line (SD heads up this division of their bass pups).

You might also check with a guy quite close to your country named Chris Kinman or a local dealer who handles his pickups. As far as I know, he offers only his guitar pups in the US but maybe he has branched out with bass pups in Australia and NZ. His pups are the rage in the guitar world.
  12. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Think I agree with the above.. the bartolini pjs in my pedulla mvp sound more natural than the emgs in my jazz.. both lovely though!! Try some basses with similar pickups on. having said that, I think the bartolinis sound probably more 'Funky', that is to say deeper and fuller with a tasty slap tone, but the emgs sound more 'Balls to the wall' perhaps..

.....In short, I dont know :D
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - sarcasm is not dead!! Well done to the moderators for keeping this alive! ;)