Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG vs. EMG-Hz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Apr 18, 2003.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    What exactly is the difference between EMG pickups and EMG-Hz pickups? I was told that EMG-Hz pickups were a more affordable option compared to regular EMGs( kind of like how Squier is to Fender). Although, I did try a Schecter bass with EMG-Hzs and it sounded pretty darn good. Thanks.

Tim

2. The main difference is that the EMG's are active, and the HZ's are passive. you can't run EMG's without at least one 9-volt battery.

now that i typed that, has anyone tried running emg's without a battery? do they have any output at all? just curious.....

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Did you try by-passing the preamp first Smash? If they are wired through the pre-amp your not gonna get any output period without a battery. I run my EMG-Hz in my Spector with an 18v setup...

4. that's what i was thinking...just wire it without batteries. i made a couple of 9V connectors that are just shorted. that way i could try it without rewiring the bass.....i'm just afraid if i open up my jazz bass with 2 9V's in there, i'll never get the cover closed again. i'm amazed i did it once....