1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG vs. EMG vs. EMG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Recently picked up a nice Guitar Factory sixer with EMG's. When I got it, it had the original 45DC's in it, along with the BQC system. Sounded pretty good, but had that upper-mid "twang" that I associate with EMG's, but at the same time got a bit lost in the mix. I had a 45CS and a 45J laying around, so I plugged them in. Much better to my taste. I tried the CS in the neck position at first, but now I have the CS in the bridge and the J in the neck. I'm liking this.

What I'm really trying to do is get this bass close to the sound of my Thumb BO6, which won't really happen, obviously, but if I can get the mids to be somewhat forward in the sound, with good focus on the B-string, I'll be happier.

Should I try a J in the bridge instead of the CS? What about the newer EMG models?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Yes, a J will have more mids; but since you're going active, anyway, why not go all out and get the entire EMG BTC system, or at least the VMC mid control? Then you can have the pickup characteristic in the position you want, and still have a really wide mid control.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It sounds like the bass already has the BCQ system, which is the BTC + the VMC.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The J does have much more in the way of mids than the CS (as is expected with a dual-coil vs. stacked humbucker design). I've got the TW's (which is a combination of the CS and J, allowing switching between either) and the DC's, and I've never noticed a problem with a solid, punchy B-string.

Have you tried different strings? I'd recommend getting a Circle K .142 or .150 B-string; I really think it will help solve the issue.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    get thee to the X-series!

the CS-x will not have that harsh treble of the older DCs, and anything with their newer "X" preamp will have a more natural sound with better headroom. be sure to run it all at 18v.

the non-X EMG bass pickups are pretty much obsolete at this point.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had wondered about the X series. Thanks.

And FMB, right now I have a Circle K .136 B on it. Do you think the .142 will really make a big difference? And what about tension?

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I find a La Bella B string usually has more focus than most. For SS that can be a Hard Rockin Steel, Pedulla, or Carvin brand string. For Nickel that can be a Slapper, Pedulla, or Carvin brand string.

8. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Commercial User

May 30, 2006
    Garner, NC
    Owner, Disaster Area Designs / Alexander Pedals
    I have a 5ver that originally came with 40DCs and ended up swapping out both pickups for 40P5's. The DCs have a really, um, unique EQ curve built in and it's hard to get rid of it if you don't like it. I'm not crazy about the 40P5 in the bridge, but it sounds pretty good. I'd like to swap it out for a 40CS - how do you like yours in the bridge position? I'm running with the BTC system, just bass and treble, no mid control.

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Dual J's and Bartolini preamp :)

10. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I might go the dual J route, but I'm not really a fan of Bart pre's. The BQC system will probably stay in this bass.

I like the CS, but it won't give you the Jaco tone. The J will get pretty close. The CS is more Music-Man-ish IMO in terms of treble presence; I like it better than the nasal twang of the DC.

11. I find that strings are just as important as th pups, however, have you considered going passive with an active preamp, all EMG of course? Its what I do, and I can get the settings I like from that combo.

12. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Using the 40Hz model? Which preamp are you using?

13. Quote:
    Originally Posted by LwoA Bassist
    I find that strings are just as important as th pups, however, have you considered going passive with an active preamp, all EMG of course? Its what I do, and I can get the settings I like from that combo.

I have the 2-band right now, which is treble and bass boost/cut. I am surprised with what I can do with it, and it also helps when your pumping out the mids on the amp. I plan on getting the 3-band with mids sweep so I don't have to go to the amp for mids. Is your bass 34" in scale, or 35"?

14. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Not sure who you're directing this question to, but my Guitar Factory sixer is 34". I played it this morning at church with the CS in the bridge, and the J in the neck position, and it sounded, to me, much better than with the DC's. I may just leave it like it is now.

I've had the Hz's in a couple of basses in the past, and I thought they sounded a lot like the DC's. So I won't be using them.

15. I asked you about scale length because my schecter is a 35" scale bass, so the low B(in my case, a low A), doesn't sound horrid.

16. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK. I've had some 35" scale basses, but I'm not sold on them. My LEJ 7 is 34" and has a really good B. Now that I've switched the pickups around on my Guitar Factory bass, I'm liking its B somewhat better.

I had a 35" Schecter for a while, a Studio IIRC, and it had an excellent B-string. However, I'm starting to think that string design is more important than scale length. So far, I have been really impressed with the Circle K taperwound B's, and also the Fodera taperwounds.

I haven't tried tuning down to A, but the R&R band that I was in for the last 5 years tuned down 1/2 step, and my Warwick Thumb BO 6 (also 34") sounded fine for that.

17. Whatever works for you. I just thought of this, what if those pups your were having problems with don't really work for the genre(s) you play, that could be the culprit.