1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG wiring question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by georgestrings, Mar 5, 2013.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have a set of EMG active pups for a P bass - is there any reason why I couldn't wire them with tone control only??? In other words, without a volume pot??? I don't see any reason why not, but just thought I'd ask... I pretty much run my volume wide open anyways, but want to be able to roll off treble as needed - and can always hit my amp's mute button or use it's volume control as needed...

I'm thinking I can run the signal wire straight to the tone pot and on to the jack from there, right???

- georgstrings

2. I did this as a test with my active EMG 40J pickups. It works. :)

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I didn't see why it wouldn't - just thought I'd ask, thanks...

- georgestrings

4. It may be a bit bright with no load from a pot. Run a resistor parallel to the output if that is the case.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    As an example - since it's supposed to have a 25k pot, am I correct to assume I'd want a 25k resister from signal to ground???

- georgestrings

6. Yes.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks...

- georgestrings

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    OK, I've got another question - if this circuit is supposed to have (2) 25k pots for V &T, wouldn't using a 50k pot for tone only, simulate the same thing as having both 25k pots with V wide open??? I'm guessing it would, but want confirmation...

- georgestrings

9. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I have an SB-2 ..and with the MFD pickups there is a huge range of tonal character change with volume... so suggest you make sure you are not missing out on some tones you may need!

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I always run my volume wide open on single pickup basses, anyways - but need to be able to roll off some treble with this particular bass for certain circumstances...

- georgestrings

11. First off, parallel resistances follow the formula R[SUB]Total[/SUB]=1/([1/R[SUB]1[/SUB]]+[1/R[SUB]2[/SUB]]+...[1/R[SUB]n[/SUB]]), so two 25k pots would make 12.5k. But second, the load of a tone pot decreases as frequency decreases. So it will be 12.5k to high frequencies, increasing to 25k at low frequencies.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    PM sent...

- georgestrings

13. I doubt you will notice any significant change using just tone with EMGs - I used to use just Volume and it sounded pretty much the same as with a tone full up.

Volume change doesn't affect active EMGs tone-wise like it does passive pickups (not audibly at least, which is all that matters), so don't worry about not having Volume tone-change-wise.

At the end of the day, try it and see if you like it. I wouldn't bother with resistors or any of that stuff.

J