1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMGj vs EMGjv

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vlado, Apr 1, 2006.

1. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Hi!
    Does anybody know if it´s possible to get a 5string EMGjv pickup that doesn´t have those little holes aiming the strings, but in the other kind of a box that is flat on the surface and equally sensitive on all positions?
    Some years ago, when my custom made bass was about to be finished, I went to a shop to get the pickups. I tested several brands and models and the one I liked the best was EMGjv, ´cause it was closest to the kind of sound that I wanted to get, a punchy Jaco´s vintage sound with a lot of middles, I´m very sure you all know what I mean. The problem was only that this kind of pickup they only had for a 4 string bass. I asked the shop manager about the 5 string pickup and he confirmed that there is one produced, but not in the flat-face box. The holes on this pickup box are made to match Fender Jazz Bass only. My bass has strings set just a bit wider then that and the sound wouldn´t be right.
    So, finally, I decided to get a EMGj pickup and it serves me good, but I still think it would be better with EMGjv. Ever since then I´ve been asking people in shops or other bassists about this and some told me that there is now the kind of pickup I wanted, but I never saw one. I checked the EMG web site but I found nothing on the subject. My style and taste for the sound has also changed a bit since, to a more deep and round one, but I just can´t get this pickup out of my mind and still want to get it. I´m sure it would be just the right thing for me.
    I hope You understand my question. English is not my native language and therefore I might have not specified everything right.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you'd have to ask them to custom make it for you, since it's not a stock model

3. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
  4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

apparently it's the coil but not the housing. That is a soap bar housing which is double the width of J and has different screw placements. EMG puts some of the exact same coils in their soaps as J's for those with soap routings.

Like David said, you may have to order it in a J housing. You can email or call them.