Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMGs + Aguilar OBP-1 wiring question --- Nino?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oddentity, Jul 18, 2001.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I've just bought a set of EMG active Jazz pickups to put in my MIM Fender. I plan on wiring them to 18v, per Mark Gollihur's diagrams.

At first, I was thinking of going w/o a preamp, but I've heard so many good things about the Aguilar that I'd like to add one.

So, my question is this: how will I wire this setup to the battery harness? Can the EMGs and the Aguilar both run off the same 18v system? Or will each of them require its own 18v system? That's a LOT of batteries!!! I'm not worried about having to route the control cavity deeper, or put in a battery box -- but having four batteries in one bass is a little ridiculous! :D

Nino, IIRC your Warmoth 5 string has a similar setup -- how did you do it? Thanks in advance...

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    bumpo

edit - you should PM nino, dude

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sorry:). All you need are 2 9V batteries to run the EMG's w/the OBP-1. Your bass is gonna sound KILLER when you're done.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just scored myself an EMG loaded bass with no pre, and I was considering putting my Aguilar OBP1 in there to mellow the bass out a bit. I've checked out the 18v EMG mod, which seems like a cool idea. The OBP1 runs best on 18v. Can I run the EMG's at 18v, and the OBP1 at 18v? How many batteries would this take and how would I wire such a monstrosity?