Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMGs for dark wood combination?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by robb., Dec 1, 2003.

1. i searched and found a lot about EMG pickups, but not an answer to my question...

i have a peavey grind NTB 5 that is very dark sounding. it has solid imbuya body wings and a 5-piece mahogany/maple neck-thru. imbuya is a native wood to vietnam, where this bass is crafted :))), but it's essentially a more figured wood similar to mahogany.

so i've found the woods to be fairly dark in tone, and the stock humbuckers don't do anything to brighten the sound. in fact, i think they make it even darker. i've had trouble getting a good tone that is both deep and defined when recording.

i'm thinking about getting EMG 40 series pickups for it, but i'm not entirely certain which ones. my first thought was 40P5 and 40DC. but then i was thinking perhaps 40DCs in both positions. then i decided i've always liked PJ sets, so maybe a 40P5 and a 40J.

also, it's on their price list but not on their products page, but i was thinking perhaps a 40TW would end the debate about 40DC v. 40J. anyone know where to get those or have any experiences with them? how much am i looking at spending in street dollars, not list dollars?

should i bother with a preamp?

thanks for the help.

robb.

2. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    I would recomend going with the EMG 40J's or the 40DC. The 40J's have plenty of brightness and clarity to brighten up the tone. The 40DC's have clarity and brightness but are much fuller and deeper sounding than the singlecoils. I think the Bartolini NTBT pre sounds really good with EMG's it really warms up the midrange that EMG's sorta lacks.

3. thanks, 3rdeye, for your input! i had given this thread up for dead. i found a dealer who actually sells 40TWs (and presumably has them in stock). that means i can put in a series/parallel/single switch in it to achieve both the J *and* DC sounds. i think that's a winner.

i have been thinking about getting an OBP-3 for the preamp, but the idea of an NTBT or NTMB is a very good one, too.

again, thanks!

robb.

4. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    There was a pretty lengthy dicussion of these pickups a few months ago. It was in the basses section, called Modulus Quantum Pickup Configurations.

Here:
    Modulus Quantum Pickup Configurations

I found the CSs to be better for me, as they didn't seem as harsh or brittle on the top end as the DCs were. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Chris

5. thanks for the heads up! i read the first five or six pages of a search for "EMG" in the pickup forum before posting my question.

i was able to resurrect a thread over at the low down lowdown at musicplayer.com, which is what i'd prefer to do.

thanks.
    robb.