EMGs for Thumb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fastplant, Apr 14, 2004.

1. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm getting ready to replace the MEC's with some EMG's but I know very little about pickups. I do know that I want to get a more traditional Thumb sound out of it that's why I'm looking for EMGs, but exactly which EMGs should I get or is there one basic standard pickup for them. Also, what kind of price am I looking at and where is a good place to order them? Thanks!
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I didn't think EMG's were the greatest at getting traditional tones, I thought there were HI-FI. :confused:

Anyway, I believe they only have one J sized model.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The original Thumbs came from the factory with EMGs. Warwick switched to MEC after a few years. I always thought the EMGs sounded better anyway.

You want the regular J bass set that EMG sells. They come prewired with controls and jack to drop into a Fender so if you want to still use the Thumb's preamp you will need to do some rewiring. Contact EMG tech support and I'm sure they can help you out.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also, not sure if it's a 4 or 5 string thumb you have.

if it's a 5, you'll need to buy two of the EMG LJ pickups - the pickups on the Thumb 5 are both bridge length (3.75")
  5. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    yeah, mine is a 5, neckthrough, and I like the pre-amp and controls it has now, so I want to keep those. I'll give EMG a call, thanks