Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG's HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by and_Justice, Apr 2, 2002.

1. and_Justice

and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    Hey guys, this is my 1st post so plz reply.

Im wanting to throw some EMG's into my cheap Washburn XB-200. I`ll most likely go with the P/J combo kit for a couple of reasons. First, i dont really know whats out there to any great extent and, this seems to be the safe choice.

I'd like to be able to have a wide variety of sounds, but a deep, solid, groovin` rock sound is what im looking for.

Oh yeah, and whats the deal with the EMG-BTC and BTS Active Bass and Treble Controls, they worth it?

Heres the link:
    http://emginc.com/Accy.html

Please tell me what u guys think.

2. I don't know if EMG's are a good choice, only because there seems to be no "in-between" with them: People either lovee them or hate them.
    I personally love them, especially with a mid boost and treble cut; they are clear as hell even with increased mids. But I know a ton of people that absolutely hate the EMG sound. Just an idea.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    EMG's are great to some, horrible to others. They are like sushi. Well, pass the sashimi because I LOVE EMG!!!
    AND SUSHI!!!

I just put the P pickup in my old P bass and it took all of about 5 minutes... 3 soldering points and a battery... and it was done. The bass is now louder than my 2 Modulus basses w/ EMGs in them, which is odd, but notable.

If for no other reason, they are SO EASY to install. A PJ set would drop in nicely and cost very little comparitively.
    If you have 3 holes in your bass for knobs, it's a no brainer. The PJ set has all you need to get going. If you want bass and treble control, get the BTC CONTROL. It's also easy to install and will fit in a 3 hole config.
    If you have 4 holes, then you could get the BTS CONTROL. It's also super easy to install and will help the sound a lot. The BQC System is tough. I had to rout a lot of wood out of my Modulus Jazz to get that bastard in there and IMO, it's not that good.

Soundwise, you are looking at a good mix of high fidelity and kick ass rock tone. I have them in 3 basses and play everything from Outkast to Mudvayne. What a lot of people don't know about EMG with controls is that they can be dialed to do anything. They sound "processed," like having everything dialed in exactly right (for me and lots of other fans). But at the same time, I can't stand Bartolini because they sound too "organic" or "natural." They "fart" and it seems to me like they can accentuate the mistakes, like plucking too hard or missing a fret.

In my opinion, EMGs are a no brainer. Simple, reliable, sound great.

4. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    They are very clean! I will give them that. They have a very full range. Strong lows, clear highs. But if you are going for that “deep, solid, groovin` rock sound”, I think they lack.

But then again, what does that “deep, solid, groovin` rock sound” mean to you? Do you want a lot of color? Do you want them to GROWL! That is what I like, personally. I would liken the tone I go for to that of a sousaphone. Deep and raspy, yet solid and punchy. Passive Fender Jazz bass with just the bridge pickup, the highs rolled way down, and playing on the end of the strings tone.

I have EMGs in a 89 American Fender P-bass deluxe (the one with the J pickup too)… I cannot get that raunchy, nasty, make you want to run home and wash type of tone out of it no matter how hard I try. Regardless of how I set the controls or what I plug it into. I leave them in there though… because when I want a very clean tone, I’ve got it (plus I plunked down the $$$, so I have a hard time taking them out). I rarely want that type of tone though… so I am not a fan.

Disclaimer: CLEAN IS NOT BAD! It is just not for me.

My feeling is that those people who HATE active pickups, have typically based their opinion on hearing EMGs. Those people are like me… they like a lot of color. You can buy active pickups that ad color (for me that means Barts), but they will cost you a pretty penny or two. But if you absolutely love the way your guitar plays, that should not matter.

I have a little Steinberger Spirit that I was going to pop some Active EMG into, but I have decided against it. A friend of mine did it, and it took away the middy characteristic of the guitar. It sounded just like every other guitar that has EMGs in it.

Again! If that is the tome you like, FANTASTIC! EMGs rule for that… It is just not what I want. Possibly it is not what and_Justice wants. I wanted to give another opinion.