Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMGs in a Peavey

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I have a Peavey Fury, which is basically a Fender copy, as far as I know, that I was wondering if I could easily install EMG -P pickups. Would I gain alot of volume through the amp? Would it sound better?

2. groovemachine

groovemachine

Oct 4, 2005
    Hawaii
    I have the same bass & had the EMG's installed w/great results. Great investment!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

More efficient speakers larger amp is the road to volume less a PA. The PV pups I've had weren't shy volume wise and actually have had superior tone. I've never had one of their P pups though. My guess is the output wouldn't vary much from the PV to an active EMG unless you added a preamp along with it and preamp take EMG's to another level in my experience. But active EMG's put out a quality tone. It may or may not be what you want.

Tone is relative to the ears. I also wouldn't count on a pup compensating for the amplificaton end. Certain pups definetly sound better with certain rigs whether the rig is junk or top flight, much lower probability shot with junk.

Something outbaord like a Sans DI, MXR-M80, etc. may be a thought as well. Numerous posts about the Sans compensating for a rig/bass that lacks tone and I don't recall anybody that thought one sucked. I have them both and they're decent but more important to me, they have multiple appicatons and they're small, light, inexpensive - in short, a great tool to have available for the occassion.