1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emg's in a pocket for longer pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Seanith, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    Do any of you know a way of getting just the shell of a pickup? Such that if I wanted to put EMG's in my Carvin ICon, I could cover the smaller pickup with a carvin soapbar shell to prevent the awkward look of having empty pocket space outside the pickup.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  3. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    You could make some out of wood and paint them black. Builders do it all the time (the wood, that is).

4. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Juat cut the ends off a same size pickup cover and fill the gaps. Use double sided tape to avoid additional screws. Or figure out some sort of pickup ring.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I did something similar, and got covers from Mojotone as mentioned above.

I have a Brubaker Brute which is normally MM/J. I originally put SGD pickups in it. I found myself never using the neck pickup, and hating the puny look of the Jazz pickup compared to the huge MM pickup. I was going to have Kevin make me a pickguard just cut for the MM pickup, but I found a great deal on one already cut for MM/J. So I sent it to Kevin and did the next best thing...had him cut it for MM at the neck.

I talked to David at SGD about just sticking my Neo Jazzbucker in that cover and he said no problem at all. But in the end I decided I didn't want to ruin that Jazzbucker since I never really used the neck pickup anyway. So I just stuck the empty shell in there, and put some wood in it to make it solid. I can always add that neck pickup if I want to.

You can do exactly what you're talking about. Get empty covers and stick the pickups in them. I'd suggest not doing that before trying the pickups without though.

Me personally? I'd just skip EMG and get Barts, Nords, or SGD's that are already made for that size. I'm not sure what EMG's will give you over the Carvin pickups. Dual coil Bart/Nord/SGD would be a huge improvement though.

Neck pickup is an empty shell :)
    [​IMG]

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    This doesn't make much sense. As I mentioned to you in your other recent thread, EMG already makes at least one set that is exactly the same size as the Carvin soapbar, which will drop right in - with no routing or external shells required. If you're deadset on EMGs, why not just get that one? :confused:

MM

7. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    Hey bongo. WHich ones sound most like Victor Wootens?

8. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    beautiful bass btw. and thank you for the input