Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emgs in an srx?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwig, May 28, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey, ive really been considering picking up an ibanez srx500 for some versitality on stage, and was wondering if i could throw emg hb pickups into both the bridge and neck spots for a better sound then the stock ibanez pickups.
    so will they fit?

2. Dunno if you've had the chance, but i personally think the stock ibanez pups on them are pretty good, reasonably crunchy in comparison to most SR's bland sound (well, from the 400 and 500 series that ive heard)

3. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I agree with mohawk. I've never had a problem with output with the stock pickups. My interpretation of the sound (coming out of a 4x10 w/15 underneath) is punchy with the mids with some thickness on the low end. It cuts nicely and works great for rock/hard rock.

With that said, the pickup dimension on mine is 3 5/8" x 1 1/2" (neck and bridge). Although the SRX500 has an active EQ, the pups are passive. The passive EMG pup, EMG-35HZ, is 3 3/4" long x 1 1/2" wide so you'll have to do some routing. However, the the active EMG-35 series is 3 1/2" long x 1 1/2". You may have some slight gaps on the ends, but you won't have to do any routing and only drill new holes for the pup screws. However, I'm not an electronics expert so I'm not sure what would happen if you put in active pups.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ive heard they've got a pretty good sound for being stock, but im currently using a standard p-bass with seymour duncan 1/4 pounders, and im looking for something to match or exceed that tone, and im not quite sure if the stock ibanez p'ups will do that for me.

5. Just saying give the standard pups a shot in a band situation before you make the final desicion

Could save yourself some cash :)

6. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Yes...Try out the stocks first and see how everything blends in with your band, sound, etc. The SRX has a different sound so I try not to put that in the same category with my '81 Fender MIA P (stock pups), and I don't think a pickup change in the SRX will give you a matching or matching + tone to those quarter pounds, but something different. Whenever I explain the difference between my stock SRX and Fender P, I say the SRX has better cutting mids and the p has better round lows. So you may need to try both basses side by side and see if the SRX's tone difference exceeds that P/quarterpound tone to your own ears.

7. huh, well if you like the tone of seymour duncans, you probably want to stay with the stock pickups. i personally hate all seymour duncan bass pickups, the 3 different types of j pickups sounded horrible and were noisier than the stock pickups on my no name j bass.