1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG's in my 75'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrandonA119, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I plan on putting some active EMGs in my 75'. Any way to fit the battery in the normal cavity? Or do I have to route a spot for the battery?

Thanks!

2. Jazz Bass,I assume?

3. Oops yes 1975 Fender Jazz!

4. I think you have to route a little wider and deeper for a 9-volt to fit under the guard,IIRC. Man,surely it ain't an actual '75 Jazz,is it? I have one,it's my favorite 4-string,it was modded with a Badass in the early 80's.
    If I were you,I wouldn't mod it. I use one of Sadowsky's old clip-on pre's with it. Same results,without the rape factor going on.

WARNING:
    If you do it,don't be surprised if you find a few J-Bass purists bearing torches out in front of your house.

5. Gotcha, yeah it is an "actual" 75'. I'm Putting a Leo Quan on for sure. It already has passive Barts in it.

6. The BA bridge is reversable; uses existing holes. Removing wood for battery, not as easy to reverse.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    these "upgrades" sound like "downgrades" to me, or "sideways-grades" at best.

EMGs? leo quann? just get those parts and put them on a mexi jazz, it'll probably sound about the same when you're done.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    A few people make drop-in preamps for Jazz Basses that are supposed to fit in the standard control cavity, battery and all.

You do realize that with active EMGs, you will need a new wiring harness with 25K pots. Said pots on the EMG site look like they're the compact type, so that could help make room.

If space still seems too tight, rather than hack on a nice vintage piece like that, I would wire up an outboard power supply that pipes in the battery voltage via a stereo cable. (I once had a '76 Jazz that had a sloppy quasi-Marcus Miller mod and I really really wished there was a way to reverse it.)

Have fun with the modding! :bassist:

9. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    Agree, not to knock the EMG's (I like them in certain situations) and i'm gonna use them in a up coming project, but they (the active ones) make ANY BASS sound the same. they IMO completely take over the sound, making anything from a slab of wood to NT specter sound the same. this is great if you have many basses (shapes, wood, brands) that you want one sound from. IMO dont mess with that 75, but it's yours to do with what you wish! happy modding!

10. Sadowsky Guitars | Bass Preamp/DI

Seriously. I'd try this before jerking out the router,for sure. Especially if the bass already has Barts in it. You won't regret it. You'll get the best of both worlds with this setup.

11. Well good news, I was able to get the battery in under the control plate! Big relief!

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    A badass 2 and emgs seem like a downgrade to me.... put those in a squier or mim fender not a nice old fender.

13. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    EMG now make a standalone battery box for their active pickups,have a look on the emg site,so you won't need to worry about fitting the battery in you bass.

14. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    How does it sound?

IMO EMGs sound great in a Jazz. Just listen to Alex Al.

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Thats what i was thinking, his 70´s jazz with EMG´s sound great in that Michael Jackson movie (This is It).

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Those sound like pretty mediocre upgrades.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hey, lookatthat!

i imagine you could use it with just about any active instrument after wiring in the dummy battery clip.

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice upgrades imo. Plenty of kids and pros did those kind of upgrades to their fender basses back then. And started installing emg active pups when those became avaialble. Lol.

19. Yeah, i'm pretty happy with it! Sounds great!

20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    AND, it allows external power into the box.

A little over priced for what it is, but it's pretty cool.