1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMGs on Squier Jaco bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xTHEREMINx, May 5, 2010.

1. Seeing as the Fender Jaco bass costs $2000+ AUD
    I was thinking of simply buying the Squier 'Vintage Modified J Bass' aka; The Cheap Crappy Jaco bass. Then Equiping the EMG JV set.

I decided on the EMG set as I've been advised that apparently, due to being active, they cancel out some of the wood tone, thus making it less crappy.
    All in all, should cost less than the Jaco, not sound amazingly spot on, but passable.
    IMO...

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, slander and general musings on the topic will be well received

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    EMG active pups do tend to make all instruments they are in sound the same. Not a good thing imo. As I like the body woods to effect tone in positive way. But yeah if you got a bass with mediocre grade whatever wood, the emgs can help. If however the bass you have has high qaulity grade wood, emg's actives may not be best choice. As that wood wont be able to show its niceness in the sound as well. Imo a bass with poor qaulity woods isnt worth haveing. Not familair with that aprticuliar squire, but many squires have good grade wood bodys even if not the wood choice preferred.

3. I have a VM Jazz, but the fretted version. I have switched the neck, bridge, and pickups to EMGs. It's a great bass, and I don't wholly agree that EMGs always sound the same. I have 5 (4 have single coils, one has DCs) basses with them, they all sound similar, but different.

I would try out some different basses w/ EMGs if I were you.

4. I'm not a big fan of EMG's though I haven't tried the JV's. ..... But why are you calling it a "Cheap Crappy bass" and then buying one? ..... They're pretty nice basses for the price. The pickups work fine but I'd add Fralins for a better sound.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The VM fretless is NOT a cheap crappy copy IMO. I have one and it totally kills for the price. I may swap out the pickups at some point just because I like to tinker but, I am happy with the sound now.

6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Fralins are really cool. Very nice vintage tone from them.

7. Well, I referred to it as a 'cheap crappy bass' in context of comparison to the actual Fender Jaco Bass
    but cheers for the help guys