1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG's or Barts in a Peavey Grind 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by leesklarwannabe, Jun 28, 2007.

1. leesklarwannabe

leesklarwannabe

Jan 30, 2007
    I just purchased Peavey Grind 5 string bass. I am sure most of you know it is a mahagony and maple neck through, Imbuya body wings and 35" scale. It also has individual bridge pieces and right now the strings pass through the body. For a mint used bass the $175 price tag was fabulous. I believe this bass is worthy of an active upgrade. I have the emg 40P5 with the BTS system on my mind now. Are barts better? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it is a peavey and not my dream Dingwall Voodoo 5 But....

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Barts or EMG's are both fine depending on what you want. In fact pretty much all makers make pups I like and don't like. Bart would be a good blindfold bin to dip from though.

Don't know if the bass has one or two pups but the BTS is only good for active EMG's (according to their site) or actives in general would be my guess - although I don't know. I never bought the systems cause I didn't want to be stuck using them with actives let alone EMG's. I've had the BTC and BQC. The only difference between the control and system is in the blend which seems is a unit that can be seperated out/excluded if you chose to.

3. leesklarwannabe

leesklarwannabe

Jan 30, 2007
    The bass has two PUPs with a volume knob for each and a tone knob for each, similar to a P-bass setup. The BTS uses the same amount of knobs that I have, just in a different format. Do I understand you correctly that you wouldn't want a bass to be just active and does one the systems you mention allow me to switch back and forth without drilling new holes. Thanks for the feedback!!!:D

4. my preference would be towards the EMGs but it's a matter of taste. what styles do you want to use it for?

Dan Bass likes this.
  5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    A priority of mine is versatility. I want to be able to use any pre with any pup. I stick pre's in outboard boxes so they're plug/unplug and play with whatever as opposed to stuck in one bass.

Active pups have pro's and cons to using them but for starters you can't have a passive option with active pups.

See FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide/Bass Mod link.

6. Kazuo

Kazuo

Jun 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    Just so you know, EMG makes passive pups too. In fact, a lot of their pups for extended range basses (5 and 6 etc) are passive 'HZ' series. I haven't used the BTS system though, so I'm not familiar enough with it to give an opinion on that either way. Hope it helps.

7. I have experience with several Bartolini systems and with EMG DC set. Both are good products, it depends what you want from your axe and what amp you use. Overall Bart pickup+preamp will have darker sound and more mids compared to EMG. Bartolini high frequencies are voiced higher and are more "modern" sounding, EMG's highs are voiced lower (more agressive). I tend to prefer my Bart equipped basses with flat and neutral rig and my EMG with tube heads and preamps.
    Try basses with Bartolini and EMG (with your rig if it's possible), this will tell you how YOU will feel these :)

You can look at the link below for another opinion:
    http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=pickups

8. leesklarwannabe

leesklarwannabe

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks for all of the feedback and I have been looking closely at all options. I play mostly christian contemporary (Michelle Tumes, Jaci Valesquez, Steven Curtis Chapman), and so on. I would not need this bass to ever be passive, if I needed a passive sound I will just strap on my P-bass. I like the active sound from the basses that I have played. Like my user name suggests my favorite player is Lee Sklar and he does alot of bass work for my favorite christian artists and I love his sound. What I don't understand from EMG's website is if the pickups that I like come with a system or what. I definitly want an onboard preamp with a battery in the control cavity.
    I am sorry if I am not catching on to your info quickly but I have been strictly a fender man for so long. Now I know that an active 5 is the sound I have been trying to get. The amp that I plan to purchase at some point to support an active bass is a Nemisis, probably with a 15" speaker.

9. Another aspect of EMG being "active" is that the pickups themselves are inherently active, meaning they have electronics (a pre-amp and voicing circuitry) inside each one, and are also low impedance. This is completely separate from any additional on-instrument EQ and "system" (from whatever maker) that you might choose to use. You can wire up EMGs with completely passive tone & volume (I had this once), and it's a pretty cool way to do it, if you're not craving active equalization capabilities. You do have to have a battery and switching jack for the pickups. Just another option.

Most instruments that are considered "active" actually have regular passive high impedance pickups along with the usual pre-amp with volume, EQ, etc. Bartolini pickups are passive, but I think their output is a little lower than "normal" passive units, and thus you hardly ever hear of them being used without a built-in pre-amp.

Lots of things to learn and explore about on this subject.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

See FAQ Bass Mod link in the 1st paragraph of Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide.

EMG pickups and their system preamp are two different entities and will only come together if you buy them together, like buying a boat and a boat trailer. You don't need one to use the other but you see them together a lot.

11. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    I was thinking about the peavy grind 5 string myself, how are you liking it except for the pickups?

12. I have the 4 stringer, and the pickups are the weak link IMO...they are incredibly well balanced basses, neck dive is so nonexistant you can use a thin guitar nylon slick strap on mine. The necks have all been extremely strong on the ones I've seen. (when getting initial truss rod setups on mine and another guy's bass, the tech had to hang most of his body weight from it to get it to start moving - they're that much of a rock) I'm currently working on a way to take P-Bass pickups and shave some of the bobbin and cover down (imagine a diagonal cut where the overlap of the two coils are) to make them fit the existing routes, I just don't know if I want to use hot-wound P's or quarter pounders yet. I may put in a varitone after that, but I've always wanted a well balanced double P, so I'm going to give it the old college try. I will say that the new bartolini thin soapbars they've got in the GC Ocean basses are really really nice sounding in all the models I've tested in the store. Another thing to look at would be the pickups from T-birds...they should be pretty close to fitting the route I'd think.

13. leesklarwannabe

leesklarwannabe

Jan 30, 2007
    I love the bass. A friend that I work with has a cirrus and there is not much difference in the feel of it. Like I said, I have played mostly fenders but I am definitly not looking back on this one. Everything on this bass is perfect. The low B is piano clear even in my Peavey Microbass with an 8" speaker.
    The PUP's are not all bad either, I just want the bass to be active. The strings are the other thing I would change. I am going with DR Hi-beams. I know most guys lugging around 5-7K Mtd's, and Lakland's (and any other bass that you can get that you have to a second mortgage on your house just to have it), they would probably laugh at a Peavey but this is a serious instrument. It has every feature you could want in a 5 string and it is very affordable. Carvin's neckthrough, the LB75 doesn't even have a 35" scale, and that is half of the battle in a good fiver. I took a day off from work and went to the coast with my wife and when we got into Rockport, I spotted a music store, went in and this baby was hanging there with a $175. price tag. It went home with me:bassist:

14. Glad you like your Peavey.

Just to keep the record straight, though, Carvin brought ought their XB75 35 1/4" models several years or so ago.

15. leesklarwannabe

leesklarwannabe

Jan 30, 2007
    Yep, I forgot all about that one.:rollno: In all honesty too, most basses I lay my hands on I wouln't mind taking home.
    Thanks Whacker!!! Anybody got a Dingwall for a couple hundred??:D

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021