Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG's stupid question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think that they will be humcancelling in their own right (both pups) and you will probably find the output is increased, possibly with some tonal adjustment made depending on the pups installed!

Not sure of pricing as you're on the other side of the pond.

FWIW my MIM Jazz fretless will eventually get a pups upgrade - either EMG or Seymour Duncan Basslines!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think thats a goood price so far, but if you've ever followed an eBay auction to the last second, you will know thathe price shoots up at the last second.

EMG pickups have an internal preamp. This means that instead of the signal being exactly what the pickup senses, it will be modified by the preamp which acts as a little eq.

On top of that EMG pickups eliminate hum and other noises, and the low impedance output means that there is less signal degradation when its being carried through long cables.

Some people describe EMG pickups as having a bright sound with a lot of trebble.

I think theyre great. I bought a P/J set and am going to buy a 35DC humbucker to install in the bass Im building.

Next time you visit a guitar shop, I would recommend trying out a spector bass.

The higher models have EMG pickups and sound great. Some other basses have EMG HZ pickups which are not nearly as good as the standard EMGs. It is easy to tell the difference as both are clearly labled on the front of thye puickup.

Peace
    Nick