EMGs w/other Preamps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm refinishing a Modulus Q6 which is the perfect opportunity to look at the electronics as well. It's a '97 and the tone controls emit static when adjusted. I'd like to entertain other preamps to go with the EMG 45DC's. Any suggestions?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll agree with Nino on the Aguilar. The OBP-1 and OBP-3 are the best sounding preamps to my ears - completely transparent when flat, but with nice fat bass boost.
  5. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Ok, I'm sold on the Aguilar OBP-3, based on the rave reviews it's getting. I guess the OBP-1 doesn't have the mids flexibility. Now, I'm wondering if I should go with:

* Volume - Volume - Mid - Stacked Treble/Bass - Mid Switch
    * Volume - Blend - Mid - Stacked Treble/Bass - Mid Switch
    * Push/Pull Volume (mid switch) - Volume - Mid - Stacked Treble/Bass
    * Push/Pull Volume (mid switch) - Blend - Mid - Stacked Treble/Bass

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks guys!
  6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Before you go the route of replacing the preamp you might want to try using some contact spray on the pots and replacing them if necessary. I have used an OBP-1 with EMG 40P and 40J and it sounded great.
  7. Hey AJ,

I've got a Spector Euro 4.
    EMG P/J /w Aggie pre.

Vol/Vol/Bass/Treb (boost only)

To me it sounds as smooth as butter, alot of people claim the EMG's to be sterile.. but with this setup, i think it sounds terrific..

I highly recommend them paired together

8. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will go for the OBP-3 with a Volume - Volume - Mid (push/pull for freq) - Bass/Treble stacked.
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I had a Spector as well with the EMG's and the Aggie OPB-1 preamp, and I absolutley loved it!

I think the OPB-3 would be a great choice for that bass.
  10. i have to say this would be my preference. it just seems more ergonomic for what i do. i would recommend choosing your option based on what you use the EQ for most. think about how you use it on stage and in rehearsal or recording. what do you tweak the most? how does the layout make sense to your brain? it should be a fairly easy choice in that context.