Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMGs without a preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by G, Jun 9, 2001.

1. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Anybody out there have a bass with EMG soapbars and NO preamp? My P bass has EMGs without a preamp and I love the sounds I can get. What about a 6 string bass with EMG soaps (not sure which model) and no preamp? Comments?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I understand that. I was actually talking about the harness protion of the circut. I guess my post should have been:

Does anyone have EMGs with a passive tone control? I am talking about just the pickups... No tone circut.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a bass with 2 EMG-HB's. It was wired with a master volume, tone, and pan. If you buy a new EMG-P (for example), you will get the pickup, the pots and the battery clip all pre-wired. This is a passive tone circuit. Actually fairly common in EMG setups. The pots you get are not the same as you would normally use with passive pups, I think they're 100k Ohm, but I'm not sure.

5. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Exactly Flatwound. I am interested in a setup like that on my P bass, except on a 6 stringer. It would consist of two EMG soapbars. Two volume, one tone control. The battery would strictly power the pickups.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm alittle confused. (Dosen't take much :D LOL!!!) In the P-bass that you have, do you use a battery to power the pick up? Do you want to put the EMG pick up's in the 6 with out a pre amp, for example, an BTC? Do you want to run the EMG's with out a battery?

Afetr re-reading everything, it seems you want to put a set od EMG's in a 6 string w/the pre-wired pot's that they come with. If this is correct, it'll sound good. I have a G&L L-5500 & a Spector NS-5 CR w/EMG 40 DC & a BTC pre-amp & if you keep the BTC trebble & tone flat, it's like bypassing it (the BTC pre-amp) & still sounds great.

Like I said, I get easily confused :confused:

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Here's a link to some wiring diagrams on EMG's page. I think you'll find what you need there. Also, I was wrong, EMG uses 25K Ohm pots for passive control of their active pickups.

http://www.emginc.com/WBGen1.html

8. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Nino, The set up I am talking about still requires batteries to power the pickups. However, there would be no active preamp. There would simply be 2 volumes and 1 tone (treble rool off type) not unlike the setup of a typical Jazz bass. Carl Thompson used this setup on quite a few basses if I am not mistaken. Is this making it any clearer?

I also saw on the EMG page that they are making new soapbar pickups with coil splitting capabilities. That would be interesting as well.

Flatwound, that is exactly the way my precision is wired up: The pickup and its battery, one volume and one tone. I routed out some of the body so I could keep everything on the pickguard; thus making electronics switches quick and easy.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The HB pickups with passive tone pot is what was used in the graphite necked Steinberger basses. I find it very useful and don't miss not having multiband active EQ at all.

If you buy the HBs, each pickup comes with a wiring harness. You have to do a bit of rewiring to hook up a pair but it's not brain surgery.

10. I'm a big fan of EMG's and have used them for years.
    Currently I'm running them on a fretless jazz bass, with no onboard preamp. It sounds like EMG's should with fat lows and sweet highs.