Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emigrating to the US?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, May 26, 2005.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Has anyone done this?

I'm seriously considering relocating to the US at the end of this year, or beginning of 2006, to be with my US-based girlfriend, in the northern New Jersey area. The idea is that I would line up a job beforehand (I should be able to get something fairly easily with my IT experience), get the required visa, sell a load of stuff (yes, including some basses), and head on over. Does anyone have any experience of doing this, any hidden things to look out for, links to useful websites and any other ideas that might help me?

Hey, bass gear is cheaper, cars are cheaper to run, the weather's better and the people can be nicer. Not sure about the guy who's running the country though, but I've adequately managed to ignore Tony Blair all these years. :D

Russ :bassist:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    No emigration experience, but New Jersey should be a great place for someone with good IT skills. One thing to check out, might be some of the IT consulting companies, like Cap Gemini for instance, you could probably get hired very quickly, and they might even help out with your transition paperwork. Good luck bro. :)

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    No we quit taking Immigrants from England a long time ago, your best bet is go to Mexico and sneak in! JUST KIDDING! I had a friend who immigrated from Canada just recently, he said the biggest concern seemed to be taking a job from an American. And "Job Classification" was how they looked at it, for instance he works in Marketing, but had to tell immigration his field was "IT" because evidently that was less of a "problem-job classification", He does work on a Computer terminal all day so it wasn't technically lying. But I'd suggest you get on the web and find out what the "preferred fields" are and look for a job in those ares.
    Good Luck, and keep us informed we need more of the British sense of humor over here! :D

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Don't be alarmed if you come to Northern Jersey and people don't seem as nice as you expected. They really are inside, but the demeanor, persona, and attitude can be pretty alarming for an outsider. Put on your leathers.

5. Don't do it!!!!

Move to Barbados instead. Even better weather, and nicer people.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    While I haven't emigrated to anywhere, in terms of employment in the US, definitely have "all your ducks in a row", so-to-speak. US employers don't mind hiring someone with foreign citizenship, but may get leary when they have to sponsor someone's visa. It's not to say they won't, though.

In fact, if you can find a job before you come over, perhaps already work for a global company willing to transfer you, you should have it made!

Good luck! :hyper:

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Emigrating from Canada to the US is entirely different than emigrating from the UK to the US. Canada -> US immigration is covered under the "bilateral" North American free trade agreement (NAFTA). Under NAFTA there are a number of approved classifications that allow one to obtain a specific visa (called the "TN Visa") that makes immigration much easier than normal. Folks from "landscape architects" to "astronomers" - usally having a B.A. as a minimum level of education.

There's about 2 dozen other categories of US work visas that may be applicable to you emigrating from the UK -

In any case, you will need to go here to find out more to start with. There are plenty of for-profit operations willing to "assist" with your obtaining a visa and could shorten the process from several months to several weeks, depending on the nature of the visa.

Citizenship and Immigration

Good Luck and God Bless America.

DD

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What about India? Lot's of IT jobs there.

If you decide to come here, please make sure you do have a solid job. The welfare system in the USA is already overloaded with people who were born here.

-Mike

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That’s all we need... more immigrants from the 3rd world :( and now i quote Stephen lynch:

If I could be a superhero
    I'd be imigrationdude
    I'd send all the back to their homes
    For eating up all of our food
    And stealing our welfare and best jobs to boot
    Such as landscaping, gardening, picking of fruit

Ok now… I came to US from Russia... its not bad... job thingie here is not as bad as people think... if you know your stuff you should be fine... I mean down side of moving is you loose family, friends kinda... but you can always buy those here in USofA... and well go back to visit I guess… but that cost pretty good money… sometimes in thousands… its pretty much starting over...

INS is big big big PAIN!!! They loose stuff, they replace stuff... they treat you like you are communist pinky and sometimes they um... don’t speak English... Test is a joke btw... with question like... how many states in US... 5... 50... 200... or what is the anthem of US... born in USA or that song by sepultura... or Star-Spangled Banner…

People tend to be pretty nice...
    Chicks apparently dig guys with British accent so you will have advantage there...

I'd look in probably few places So yeah... North cal is pretty nice... like Bay Area but probably only South Bay...

Then there is New England, such as NYC and places around there is pretty cool... and in both places people are much nicer then people think...

Then there is Texas... Texas is not really US but they consider themselves that so we kind of let them… Texas... Texas has people like Digme... that should tell a lot:)

Pretty cool place though... Sometimes people are nice too:D I dont know enought about it to say which parts though... but don’t get a speeding ticket there... you might get done with:( :D

Seattle area is not bad… both New England and Seattle have that winter weather… Winter in cal is few rains and you know it gets mighty cold… sometimes I even have to put a long sleeve t-shirt… craaaaaaazie!

Government thingie… I donno I don’t think it would bother you all that much… you can ignore it if you want… but you running risk to be consider a pinky communist…

So yeah… I basically named places I like myself (except for Texas… Dallas cowboys suck… Dallas Stars suck…) (I do like Texas I just don’t want to admit to it:( I feel ashamed:( ) Don’t know much about South or Midstates… and really I don’t want to know… there I said it…

Now that I pissed off everyone with no real info i should go and wait for angry PM from jazzbo! FIGHT THE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!

There is also Canada... they produce snow...

Cheers

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Seattle winters are not the same as New England winters. It rarely gets below 30 degrees during the day, and seldom snows. There will be a handful of icy mornings, and some minor snow showers. For the most part, the overnight snow will usually be gone by midday. People joke about the rain, but it isn't that bad. Although many people from around here will tell you we have two seasons....warm rain, and cold rain.

-Mike

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, did it back in '97 from Britain to the US.

Get ready for the wonderful world of the INS. I had it relatively easy coming over here, since it was an intercompany transfer (moving from Edinburgh office to New York office).

I'm hoping you're doing more reading on the subject outside of TB. If you're coming over with work, you either need the intercompany transfer or a sponsoring company to get you an H1B visa. It used to be fairly easy to get sponsored by a consulting company here, who would then put you through the green card process. Although the job market is better than it was in 2001/2002, I'm certain there aren't as many companies doing the sponsorship as there used to be. But it's certainly possible to do it that way.
    If you're planning on getting married, then I assume you know about the K1 financee visa.

Useful info at: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Very helpful immigration message board at http://immigration.about.com

If you have any specific questions, fire away

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, rain is what i ment... still compare to Cal you guys have winter:) you acctually have to wear something other then tshirt:)

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah... those TWO years were especially bad... sad 2001 and 2001

:D

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Come on over, we could always use another TB'er in NJ. :)

Where in North Jersey?

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Damm the immigration officials and "official" websites! Our own K'serg has provided you with a complete primer! :p

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Cheers. :) Will definitely be up for hanging at some bass shops and having a beer or six with the NJ TB crew.

The place we're considering is in Mount Olive, whereabouts are you?

And no, I have no intention of going there and being on the welfare... :meh:

Russ :bassist:

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My father in law is an immigration lawyer. Good luck with your move!

edit: can I have your bass gig? ;)

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I'm in Mountain Lakes. If my memory serves me correctly you would be less than 30 minutes west. There are some nice shops over here, and I think we're equidistant from most of them, not to mention everything in New York City, which you will come to know as "the city."

19. Funny thing is that wherever you go the nearest city is usually known as "the city" !! For instance if you say "the city" to me, it means London (that's London,England) ;)

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you have decent IT skills you should have little difficulty getting a job here. There are still large number of H1B positions out there, despite the fact that US based IT workers are still unemployed in record numbers...personal pet peeve but don't let that effect you.

Probably the easiest way to do this through some kind of placement company because they will sponsor you for an H1B visa, just watch out for scams that pretend to set up employment for you and switch contracts after you arrive. I've heard of people hired for $60k/yr development jobs who were "reassigned" after 2 weeks to an $8/hr helpdesk position and told to go home if they didn't like it. The company has already gotten paid for placing you, they don't care what happens to you after that.

I think IT staffing firms are a special circle of hell...