Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emile Dupree

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Does anyone know anything about bowmaker Emile Dupree and
    how his work is generally regarded?

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I have 2 Dupree bows. I think one is absolutly amazing, and the other is great. The first one I bought for 700, and my luthier appraised it for 2K. The other one I bought from Beerman, and I paid 400 for it. I don't know much of his work, however. I would be very interested to know about the history of ol' Dupree.
    Pete

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  4. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Is it just by chance that those are all of the German Style?
    Mine are both french.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Scroll down towards the Bottom of that link. They have 3 French models listed there.

6. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    I bought a Dupree bow from Chris Brown in St. Paul a few years back. He seems to be quite knowledgable on bows yet even he said he wasn't a hundred percent sure on the history of these bows. He seemed to think they are factory made, but maybe at one point there might have been a maker with this name? It was a few years back so I can't remember everything he had said. He did say the same as mentioned before some are really nice, like the one I ended up buying, and other are just so-so.

7. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Hah, yano they do seem to be there. Sorry bout that. Thanks Ken.

8. jpf9

jpf9

Mar 5, 2011
    i bought one that has such a nice light weight and has France stamped on it for 395.00 it feels quality to me...

9. jpf9

jpf9

Mar 5, 2011
    here's a quote from another bass chat site...Emile Dupree was a trade name, and these bows were made in France (and also some in Germany) for the Metropolitan Music Co.
    Those made before WWII are stamped with the place of origin. Some of these sticks are good, and have been sold for around the price you mention($1400.00) - retail. There is a great price variability here, depending on the individual bow.

10. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I believe upton has one for sale right now... Just throwing that out there.

11. So do I (in the TB Classifieds), for less than Upton.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I bought a bow stamped "Emile Dupree*" a while back, figuring it was a Chinese-made counterfeit, but now I'm unsure. It is very lightweight and well balanced. I prefer it to a lot of $500-700 bows at Hammond Ashley, so for the price I paid, I'm very pleased. Another reason why I'm unsure whether or not it is counterfeit, is that it would make a lot more sense to use the stamp of an expensive and well-known maker rather than Emile Dupree.

13. Does it look new? If so, it's probably a copy.

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It actually looks very worn and old.