1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence 12s, Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MellowTone, Sep 22, 2008.

1. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hi all,

After seeing a lot of glowing reviews of commercial cabs of the same variety, I'm thinking of building a small, lightweight 1x12 (to use with my Little Mark II). I prefer a mellower, old-school sort of tone, and a fan of tube-style tone, but without the weight. I plan to use an Eminence driver as I have used their products before (4x10) and am very pleased with the result.

I have two drivers readily available to me, the Kappa 12A and the Gamma 12A. After modelling both, The Kappa 12 seems more appropriate (I can get a nice smooth curve, whereas the Gamma produces a big hump). I am aiming at an enclosure voluming of around ~30L. Both drivers have paper cone, pressed basket and plenty enough power for what I want.

My question is: Have any of you used these drivers and/or would you recommend one over the other?

Kappa 12A data
    Gamma 12A data

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers, Nic.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neither makes for a good bass driver. Both are obsolete designs, and the Gamma was discontinued a few years back. The Deltalite II 2512 is much better than either, but for that matter so is the Basslite S2012.

3. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Interesting, both specifically mention bass in their info, though I guess if they're obsolete designs, that doesn't really matter. It rather surprises me they are that old.

Are there any other 12s in the Eminence line (or from other manufacturers) that you would recommend? I am trying to keep this build on the cheaper side (the Deltalites would cost me AUD$250 or so to get here).