1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eminence 3015LF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rod71, Aug 21, 2007.

1. rod71

rod71

Jul 25, 2007
    Are these 15' drivers good on their own?. Or would you need say a 210 on top of it because of the 15's frequency range only going up to 1.5khz.

2. This is a fine driver within its design parameters. It is not a full range driver, and definitely needs assistance with the higher frequencies. It does well in vented boxes of 3.8 to 5.0 cubic feet, and is an exceptionally fine performer in bass horns.

Large diameter drivers such as 15" become directional (beaming) it pretty low frequencies. This means they are strong on-axis, and muffled/inaubidble off-axis. You will need a good 6" or 8" as the midbass driver for sure, and probably a tweeter depending upon your style.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I wouldn't use any fifteen on its own when a full range tone is the object. Even if the axial response is good to 3kHz a fifteen will beam above 1kHz.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's a GREAT driver - with a midrange. But even for those who can live with the lack of good polar response in the midrange in a fullrange 15 cab, I'd say the Kapplite 3015 (NON-LF) would be a better choice.

Really though - a 3015LF and a suitable 6.5" midrange is the way to go.

5. rod71

rod71

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks guys!

My reason for the question is because i plan on changing out the ancient Altec 421-8h for the Eminence

I was a little worried after comparing the specs between the two and noticing the frequency response difference.

I should have clarified and said that i wasn't planning on running the 15 by itself as i have a 210 that works with it.

However, i was interested to know if they could work OK independently if need be.

OK, so will the 10's together with the 3015LF provide enough mids to keep it from sounding muddy?. Or would i still be better off with the "Non LF" version?

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sure. No problemo.

7. It is not mentioned, so I assume you either have a crossover in place, or are bi-amping this rig?

8. rod71

rod71

Jul 25, 2007
    No. Basically at the moment i have a Hartke HA5500 head, an Altec 421-8h inside a TL box and a Behringer 210 on top of that.

I'm after a replacement for the Altec driver, as it is 150W and tends to fart out easily.