Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eminence 32 ohm & Legend BP102 sound =?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 28, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Do the direct replacement (10", 32 ohm, 100 watt) speakers made for ampeg 8x10's by eminence sound the same tonally as the eminence Legend BP102.( 200 watt 8 ohm) They seem to be a more powerful replacement. Thats all I need to know from guys who, well......."know". :smug: Thanks.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've never heard them in action, but I just ran them through cab design software for another TB thread .

If I can add to a coment to the previous thread to be more specific to your intended purpose:-

I'm not sure of you're planning to drop these into an existing Ampeg cab? I believe this speaker works best in a ported enclosure. However with an EPB of 80, a sealed enclosure isn't out of the question. The difference is that the vented enclosure got us a -3dB point of 39Hz, but the sealed startes rolling off at 60Hz, admittedly at a shallower slope.

That's my 0.2c. If anyone has actually heard these things in action, please jump in.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    That is valuable information. I plan on putting them in some avatar 2x10 cabs that are vented but them maybe sealing the port. I prefer sealed cabs. Tonally, the ampeg speakers tend to have a clear top end and do not need a tweeter where as the eminince delta's that are in there now are just alittle dull in treble responce. Like there is a blanket over the speaker. Before I buy 4 replacement speakers, I want to find out if the higher output Legend Bp102's sound the same as the stock ampegs. I've heard that they can be put in a sealed cab.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    According to Bgavin's spreadsheet, the upper frequency limit of the BP102 is 2k. That's not all that high. I'd add a tweeter if it were me.

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, in that case I wonder what the frequency response of of the ampeg speakers are? They must go higher. They sound that way to my ears anyway. The calculations that I've seen do not always reflect how the speaker sounds in real life. What a bummer. Anymore advice guys or has anyone else stuck ampeg speakers in a different cab? If so, what was the result?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Here's the speaker design catch 22. Speakers that go higher can't go as low. It's the laws of physics at work. If your 10's go too high, they'll most likely be lacking in bottom end and your bass may sound more like a banjo.

What is it specifically that you don't like about tweeters? If it's the click- clack, I can suggest 2 alternatives. The first one is a "Silk dome" tweeter. Silk domes have always been used on high end Hi-Fi speakers and studio monitors because they're smoother than traditional titanium/metal horns. I'm using the peerless 811647 because it is sufficiently efficient for live audio, and it sounds completely different to the tweets on my other cabs. Accugroove are using Audax silk dome tweets. I honestly believe it is the tweet for the tweet haters.

The other option is replace the tweet with an Eminence Alpha 6. From memory it's good to 6k which is high enough to fill out your top end, but not high enough to click-clack. The question is wether or not there's room on the front baffle to fit a 6".

There's also the question of wether there is enough spare internal volume inside the cab to give the 6" it's own little cab. Given that you'll be running it sealed, and sealed speakers are far more forgiving to changes in cab volume than vented speakers, this shouldn't be a probem.

Anyone else have any ideas?

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I hink that I'll just put some ampeg speakers in my cabs and if they don't work, I'll try the B102's that have the wizzer cone. Problem solved.

8. The BP102 response takes a precipitous plunge at 2,000 Hz and heads for the basement. Remember, the BP102 is the model *without* the whizzer cone. The whizzer cone model is the B102, and it rolls off much more gradually, and higher up.

The BP102 requires a large cabinet volume. If not, it will sound like an Eden with a honk in the mid-bass and a steep rolloff below the honk. This driver requires a tweeter or other high frequency driver above 2,000 Hz.

The Alpha 6 takes the plunge around 5,000 Hz. I bought (4) of the Alpha 6 at an eBay firesale to experiment with them as a vertical 4x6 array, no tweeter. The sealed cab makes no difference for these drivers because they are not operating in the bass range. Put 'em into a small sealed chamber and they will be fine.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    For what its worth, the Ampeg 32 ohm speakers are for the 8-10 as noted, and the 8-10 is NOT ported. Each pair gets an enclosure about 1/4 of the total volume.

The 60 Hz rolloff the program calculated sounds about right.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yes, I know that it's sealed, thats why I like it. Are there any speakers on the market that are 4 or 16 ohms that sound like the stock speakers from the ampeg tonally?