1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence 5 String - Low B or high C?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by DanL, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DanL

DanL Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
    I am looking at buying an Eminence EUB - I originally thought I would set it up with a low B string - now I am thinking of having it set up with a high C string.
    Anyone with experience with your Eminence set up either way?
    Thx!

2. If you are not used to playing with a high C string, it is easier to change from a four string to a low B fiver.

High C strings are not often used, so development stops rather early in most cases and in many cases they don’t fit to the four string set well.
    Steel core versions are also very thin and can sound weak in lower positions. Thick strings don’t sound sustain well in higher positions.
    I know what I’m talking about, I tried many of them.

If you really want a high C, then start finding one before you get the normal set. Then get a G from the set to find out if it matches well. If it does get the rest of the set.
    It won’t work starting with the set, unless you have a lot of money to throw out.

But from a purely acoustical side, a high C makes a lot more sense on that small body than a low B.

DanL likes this.
  3. DanL

DanL Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
    Evidently not too many others pondering this question... I was curious what experience folks had playing an Eminence EUB with a high C setup? Anyone? - thanks!

4. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    I had my four strings Eminence A D G C with High Obligato C, It was pretty fun and It felt great all over the neck, If I had a five string bass I would go E A D G C.

DanL likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021