1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eminence ATP super Tweeter for Avatar Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I just saw a Avatar B115 cab for sale that had been modified with the ATP 80 super tweeter.
    I have several Avatar cabs ( B 115 Neo and two B 112) already and I really love them. So the thought of trying to make them better had not occurred to me. But now I'm curious. I do like a modern Jazz bass sound so that high end that a tweeter produces is very important to me.
    How does this ATP tweeter compare to the stock tweeter ( I don't know what kind that is) that the Avatar comes with?
    Also the cab that is advertised has upgraded interior damping( painted on interior surfaces and acoustic foam). I wonder if that is something worthwhile to do to the B115?

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The stock tweeter is a Foster and is a decent tweeter . The Eminence APT is an upgrade but not a major one . It has better dispersion , 80 degrees instead of 40 or so ,and is probably a little cleaner on peaks . They are a very good tweeter and don't cost much so it might be worth it . You could try it on one of your cabs and see if you like it .

3. I don't know much about this stuff but a wider dispersion might be nice. I might have a clearer sound on stage. But if it's wider , is there a loss in how far it reaches? Is the hole on the baffle the same size as the existing Foster horn or do I need to make any permanent alterations that might prevent me from going back? Avatar sells the foster horn for 54.- The ATP is half price. But it's still better?

4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The APT is an upgrade, but the main deficiency of the Avatar is the crossover high pass slope. It's only 12dB. 18dB or 24dB give much better protection, and they allow the tweeter to be run almost an octave lower, eliminating the huge response dip in the upper mids.
    I've seen the Foster tweeter as low as $29.95.
    If I was going to make a tweeter change it would be the Eminence BGH 25-8, which is actually designed for bass. It will go down to 2 khz with a 24dB high pass. BFM uses it in the Simplexx bass cabs, you should be able to get the crossover from speakerhardware.com along with the tweeter.

5StringPocket likes this.
  5. I don't know enough about crossovers to understand what the difference is between 12, 18 or 24 Db high pass slope.
    Could you please explain that?
    I own two Avatar B112 cabs and one B115. Lately i have been gravitating toward just using the B115. Really nice balance from the low B to the upper register. I expected it to be somewhat mid shy and maybe a bit boomy, but it isn't. It's as clear and natural sounding as the B112 but it goes lower.I like the Avatar cabs a whole lot and I don't mind spending a little extra money on them to make them sound even better ( I do that with my basses all the time). But I'm happy with them as they are as well. From what I notice is that even though I like a bright bass sound (Marcus Miller) I don't want it harsh and if I turn up the horn past one quarter, it's too much. But I thought that was just the way it is. So, if I bought a different horn and changed out the cross over, what improvement could I expect from that?