Eminence Bass Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Jan 11, 2005.

1. :bassist:
    Hello all!
    I need help choosing the correct driver from the attatched Eminence site.
    My cabinet has a 4.0 cubic feet internal dimension, ported with 2) 4 inch ports.
    I am looking for a punchy, tight sound, that can standup to a 4 piece rock band.
    I also may have a chance to purchase a D145 JBL that was re-coned with an E kit.
    Only not sure if that would have enough power for me???
    Anyone know the wattage for an D to E kit JBL re-cone?
    What can you guys recommend?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Email Dave at Avatar. www.avatarspeakers.com He sell's eminance speakers at very good prices. That's if you don't know where to get ahold of any. I'm sure the other guys on the forum can help you choose the right one for you.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have an E145 and it's probably the best 15 speaker I've ever played or heard. I built a cab for it many years ago before I knew what I was doing, and with the help of the guys who sold it to me. It's in a cab that about 110 litres (3.9 Cu.ft) and tuned to 52 Hz. This gives it a -3dB point of about 52 Hz which looks high on paper, but to my ears it sounds deeper than my 4x10 which is supposedly -3dB at 38Hz. It certainly moves more air and gets the pants flapping better than the 4x10, and definitely does a bette job of reproducing my low B than the 4x10.

Put the E-145 and the 4x10 (or even my 2x10) together and with a mere 400w amp, I can overpower Medium sized PA systems with thousands of watts. Why? Because the speakers are very efficient. It's also the "fastest" and tightest 15 I've ever heard with a distinct PUNCH without any mud or flabbyness.

Don't let the 150w rating put you off. The E series is an old design. At the time, JBL were seriously underestimating the abilities of many of their speakers. They were basically just having a guess. The speaker manufactures of today do the opposite, often exagerating specs and quoting thermal wattage limits rather than wattage rating that reflects when a speaker will move too far and distort. I've been feeding mine well over 150w for well over 10 years, and it's never distorted or blown.

Bad points? Well mine has a tweeter to cover the highs. But there's a distinct hole in the upper mids. The 15 gives up at maybe 1k, the tweeter kicks in at maybe 3k - the frequencies in between are missing. But it's nothing you can't fix with EQ or 10's.

I can scan the Eminence pages for you if you like, but not now, it's bedtime here in Austr. In the meantime, find more about that E-145 you might be able to get.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Go with the JBL recone and also use a closed back Eminence Alpha 8 MR crossed over at 800 Hz. Get the Alpha 8 and the crossover ( Eminence pxb2-800) at Parts Express. Make the box 4 cu.ft. internal volume, vent with two 4" pvc ducts 3 inches long. Don't sweat the watts, they're immaterial.
  5. skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    US Speaker also carries a large variety of Eminence speakers and the staff is very good at helping you choose the right one.

6. Make sure the JBL is reconed with a factory kit, and not an aftermarket kit. The factory kit is EXPENSIVE. The E145 is a very highly engineered driver with a large voice coil gap and underhung coil.

If you want to match a driver, download my spread sheet. Look for the correct size and and volume in the SBB4 column under the Vb heading.

Figure your internal cabinet volume, minus some displacment for the speaker itself and any ports.
  7. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I believe that the JBL E-140 is rated at 400 watts, and they are very good sounding.I believe that the upper limits are 2500 cycles.I think that's what your post was alluding to on the recone.Marc Serio is also on this forum (Dr. Basscabs) he uses Emminence in his cabinets and he recommended the Beta 15 to me over the higher power rated Kappas.He said the speaker was more musical.I like it alot, and I believe it is a 350 watt rated driver, but it is only 11 lbs or so, and that is very nice.You might want to get in touch with him about your question, he might have a cabinet with a speaker that is just right and cheaper than the route you are going. My two cents.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The E140 and E145 aren't the same. Make sure it's an E145 before taking any of my previous comments on board.
  9. Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    The very best 15" I ever had was some RCF speaker.

I have heard my cab still works somewhere in Europe....Jesus. That was a monstrum.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I can't overemphasize this enough: I've owned quite a few JBLs, and generic recones just don't cut it. I owned a pair of E145s, but they were generic recones. They were "OK", but nothing at all special, IMHO.

I doubt that any single 15 cab is going to do what you want, personally.
  11. It looks like this is a E140.
    It was re-coned with the E kit. The tech said JBL only has E kits anymore.
    I know it started out as a D140F.
    Since it was reconed with an E kit....then that would make it an E140 correct?
    If so what is it rated at? (watts)
    What is the difference between an E 140 and a E 145?
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's a bummer that it's an E140 and not an E145. The E140 has different T/S parameters that the E145. It's likes a smaller cab but doesn't like to go as low. The E140 will be stronger in the mids than an E145. For Bass guitar, the E145 is better.

People have used E140's in bass cabs before. I think Fender used to use them in their 2x15 cabs. One of the guys in my band has one sitting in has garage wasting space, and he's offered to sell it to me a few times - I'm not all that interested in it. If it was an E145, I'd snap it up for sure.................
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Are you sure it's 300w? I'll be jealous if it is. Mine has 150W clearly marked on the back of the magnet?
  14. The magnetic design is completely different between the E140 and E145. For starters, the E140 is a slightly overhung coil with a short Xmax. The E145 is an underhung coil with 2x the Xmax of the E140.

They are different beasts, and perform differently.

IMO, the E145 is by far the superior driver, for electric bass.
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

= +1
  16. Eminence Kappa Pro LF rated for at least 3.9cu ft. cab.
    40 hz low end...heck of a punch...it literally shook stuff off my shelf in the closet at 1/4 volume level.
  17. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd like to hear more about this JBL D-145.This is one of those models I am not really familiar with.According to the people here, it was tha cats meow.Why did it go the way of the dinosaur then, and what, if anything replaced it? I would also think that if it was as great a speaker as suggested, that someone would knocked it off, and it is out there under another name.For example, the "pro beat" line made in thailand (I believe) is a knockoff of the JBL 2226 speaker, down to the point where my speaker repairman says that he can interchange the baskets.Has someone knocked off this speaker ,and is it now available under another brand name?Thanks in advance.
  18. Hey LoveThat Bass,

I have a 4.0 internal dimension cab. As far as you know, would the Kappa Pro15 LF be muddy or not cut thru in a cab with no crossovers or tweeters?
    I am sort of dissapointed in my D140 now that I hear the D145 is the ONE for bass.
    I have lately been getting an ugly buzzing sound out of my low E and 5th fret A string.
    It's like it just can't handle the note!

19. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks for the post NIGHTBASS.I agree about your speaker evaluation.When I rehearse at my guitar players house. I often practice through his fathers old blackface dual showman amp with an old bandmaster type bottom with a single JBL D130 speaker in it, and it is the best sounding bass sound I get of all of my equipment.I know that we practice at lower levels than on stage, but the definition and clarity from that rig is incredible.I also used to like the old EV speaker sound when they were SRO's.They had a very broad range and I think that the expanded upper range in those speakers gave the definition and clarity that I like so much.I can't seem to find that in the more modern speakers.Maybe someone here can point me toward a speaker that is more reminicent of those type sounds.Thanks again.