1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eminence beta-12A-II vs. Basslite S2012

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dubstylee, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, here it is guys. V4 cab fit with 4 - Eminence Basslite S2012's, it's sounds absolutely amazing. If you have any questions about the cab or tone, feel free. Check it out:

Attached Files:

Shumasonics, fretno and PawleeP like this.
  2. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Come on fellas, give me some feed back! Whatta ya think of the setup?

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I think I'd have to hear it! HOw'd the modding/swapping process go?

4. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I love it. Did the same thing with a 4x12 cab earlier this year. S2012's first. Then I traded those out for Deltalite 2512's. For my ear, I like the Delatalite's a little better. But I would not say it was a dramatic change over the
    s2012. Just slightly more power handling.

Nice job. Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine!

5. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    The process went smoothly. I first had to patch two holes due to recess handles being added by another owner, I cut out pieces of plywood to match the holes, I used a nail gun to nail them into place, and then used wood filler to fill the gaps, it worked great! I then used mattress foam topper from Target to dampen the cab. I used staples and 3M spray adhesive to attach it. I then wired it in a series-parallel format to keep it at 8 ohms. I sounds a lot punchier than my SVT-410HLF, but the HLF still has more low end (duh!). It's awesome, it's rated thermally at 600 watts, but I don't use anything but a V4 right now.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i put four 2512's in my V4 cab and i LOVE it!
    (i also replaced their paper dust caps with JBL aluminum ones to give them just a teeny-tiny more high end).
    IMO, it really rocks with this tele bass and V4B head. its VERY dynamic and can go from a whisper to a BOOM by just using your fingers.

IMG_0038-3.jpg

fretno likes this.
  7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    JohnK, I wouldn't have had this idea w/o you sharing that cab and your input. Thanks again, I bet it sounds amazing!

PawleeP likes this.
  8. I use Pyle PYM1298's 2x12 they are 8ohm speakers wired in parallel in my Legion Sound 2x12 cab w the supplied horn. That cab is 1200 watts @ 4ohms nicest thing I ever did to that cab compact and loud w quality sound even handles a low b string bass

9. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Your back will thank you

10. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    And it definately has, those basslites only weight 4.1lbs. each!

11. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    So time to refresh this thread. I've been using the Basslite S2012's in my V4 cab now since last summer. I must say, they definately are good sounding speakers, I'm not sure if a lot of people on the forum have used them or not, but they definately sound punchy in the V4 cab. Their sensitivity rating is 97db, which is fair but not great either. I run this cab with either a Peavey VB-2 or an Ampeg V4, while both sound great through the cab, and while I am loud enough, I have one question for my fellow tb folks:

If I were to use Eminence Deltalite 2512's instead, would I gain a lot of volume? The Deltalites are 2.2db's greater in sensitivity, would this make a large difference performance? My gas and curiosity seems to be getting the best of me lately, plus I like experimenting with gear too much.

12. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    You'd probably gain a little bit of volume, but since you're using it for bass, a better (and possibly cheaper) solution would be to add a second cab. I also have a V4 cab, and if yours is like mine, I'm guessing you're looking for more bass rather than more mids and highs. A subwoofer to go with the 4x12 would be perfect. You could build one of the subs on BFM's site for about $150 or so. Just get an 8 ohm speaker for it and match it up with your 4x12. You'll get a LOT more low end and not spend much money.

13. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm not necessarily looking for more bass, I'm looking more volume in general. I have a 410HLF cab which goes lower than I need right now, so I'm really loving the sealed cab punch you know? I was just wondering if the deltalites would give me more volume.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You'll gain about 0db until >1khz, at which point you don't care since the majority of your volume is below there anyway. Just my opinion but I think it'd be a waste of money.

About the only way you're going to get appreciably more volume out of a cab that size is to use guitar drivers (which may blow if you don't high pass them).

15. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    As I noted earlier in this thread, I did the same thing with my 4x12 cab. S2012's first. Then I swapped those out for a set of Deltalite 2512's. Are they louder? No, not really. At least not with the 100-200 watt heads I use them with. But the 2512's do have increased power handling, so they may be able to achieve more volume if I wanted to throw a little more wattage at them. My experience is that different speakers are not going to give you much (if any) additional volume in a sealed 4x12. You may get a slightly different tone (I did) but no more volume overall. If you want more volume, add another cab. That's your only sure-fire bet.

PawleeP likes this.
  16. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Sounds like I'm going to stick with the Basslites then because I really like the tone of them. Plus, I have four of them in their which rates the cab at 600W RMS. I only run a 100 watt head and 225 head into it. I appreciate everyone's input though, I love messing with my gear to find that perfect sound. These basslites are perfect for what I need I'm thinking.

17. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Yeah -- in 20/20 hindsight, I probably should have just kept the S2012's in mine too. The Deltalites are great speakers too, but the minimal change in overall tone between the two really did not justify the additional expense of the speaker swap.

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    Nice..
    what are the approximate inside dimensions of the 412?

Did you use 4 8ohm basslite 2012's wired in series parallel?
    If you did that would effectively be 2 16 ohm loads,
    not sure if anyone makes a 16ohm 15 to put in a box under the 412.

Got an old 412 peavey git cab that's sealed (has 4ohm scorps) from factory, not sure if round speakers would fit though, will have to check..
    thanx p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  19. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    nice thread,
    anyone ever compare either of these eminence 12's with a delta 12 pro450?
    p

20. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I Understand this is a older thread, I was in the same predicament, I wanted to up grade some smaller combo bass amps , Fender Rumble 100v3 and 75, I was sure to buy the Basslite, but with like 10 e mails on speakers with eminence tech ANTHONY LUCAS
    Design Engineer/Technical Support he convinced me to go with the
    Beta-12A-II / He explained the following:
    They have about the same output. The Basslite S2012 is 99dB and the Beta-12A-2 is 98db. /
    They are similar designs. The Basslite is more expensive because neodymium is very expensive, but makes a lightweight design. /
    Beta-12A-2 (ceramic magnet) or Basslite S2012 (neodymium magnet).
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

PawleeP likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021