Eminence Beta 8A - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Feb 15, 2009.

1. I'm considering building a small kick-back monitor style cab for my bass with the Eminence Beta 8A. Anyone have experience with this speaker?

I'm not expecting a whole lot of low end. I'm expecting it to be a mid-range cab. But in WinISD it appears to provide better low end response than many 10" drivers.

Any thoughts?

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    If you dont already have the driver, have you considered an s2010 from eminence? It weighs less than a long speaker cable, has considerable xmax for a little 10, and can be crammed into a tiny cab and still perform. Just a thought. I dont know how they compare price wise, and if you already have the 8 laying around, its moot.

3. I haven't bought the speaker yet. The S2010 is reasonably priced, but it won't handle enough power. My amp puts out 225 watts at 8ohms. The S2010 will only handle 150. I don't plan to crank it, but still, that would make me really nervous about blowing the speaker.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Run a maximum SPL chart.
    After running that maximum SPL chart for the two drivers you'll see why power handling alone is an irrelevent spec.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    ...Or the cone excursion graph.

6. Ok, I'm new to this, so go easy on me. The SPL chart looks like the 10" (actually almost any 10) is way louder (about 8dbs). Is that what I'm supposed to get here?

7. It still seems dangerous to me to couple a 225 watt amp with a 150 watt speaker. Is there another choice out there I should look at?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not if your amp has a volume control.
    That 8dB means the eight would need about 700 watts to deliver what the ten will from 100 watts.
    You don't hear watts, you hear decibels, so decibels are the only thing you should be comparing.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021