1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eminence CB158 in Ampeg B25B cab review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Alrighty, finally got a chance to play my old B25B cab with my new pair of CB158 speakers installed at practice tonight, and man, it sounded really good. It probably sounds more like a bass amplifier than I've ever had. I played with my old V4B head, and my new Fender Modern Player Telecaster, and it worked out great. There are tons of lows - more than I'm used to since I've been playing with old junk for the last 20 years. I was playing with drums, and 3 guitarists with 40 Watt tube amps each, and I didn't even have to turn the V4B up to 11 o'clock. I was probably running at 9:30 or so on the Volume knob, EQ knobs all at 12 o'clock, and I was easily heard by me and everybody else. Tone was so round, so firm, so fully packed. I'm not used to having so much real low end, and it was cool to actually fill out the bottom end. There wasn't a ton of high end twang, but that could've been the bass mud-bucker pickups more than the speakers. I'll try it in a playing situation with my Geddy Lee Jazz and see if they are a bit brighter. The sound was nothing but good, though.

Just thought I'd call down there and tell ya about it.

Chris

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I got those speakers in a few cabs and I really like them. They are very forgiving of internal cab volume and make a great upgrade of nearly every budget 15 on the market.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    If you think it sounds nice now, wait until they break in. I have a pair in an old Peavey 215, and it always sounded good, but a couple weeks ago they just bloomed, got louder, with more bass and punch. Took a good 4-5 months of weekly rehearsals to do it, but very nice results. Have fun :)