1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence Deltalite II good in sealed cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Apr 6, 2006.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The eminence website says they are but what do they know:smug: Can someone who knows about such things speak to the Deltalite II's (specifically the 10") potential performance in a sealed cab?

2. Download WinISD and see for yourself. It's free, and you can put in the T/S parameters of the driver, then test out its predicted response that way.

You need to consider MUCH more than just whether the box is sealed or ported, in other words.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I have a Mac which means that I can't use the download and the online version doesn't give you anything besides low end response.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No box program can predict anything other than low end response. Above 200 Hz you just use the manufacturers spec sheets. Below 200 Hz you use a box program.

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I'm certainly no expert, but one thing that would be important is power handling at low frequencies for a given speaker in a given box (as an example of something that I can't get on the online version of WinISD). I would just like a general yes or no about this speaker in a sealed box.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Insufficient information. Will it be run solo or with a sub? Sealed is OK if you have something else to handle the low end, but otherwise vented is better. Sealed you can expect an f3 around 100Hz, vented around 80 Hz.

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    in a sealed box of between 1 and 2 cubic feet the f3 is predicted to be approx 90hz.

in optimal flat it is predicted to be 50hz tuned to 50hz in a 2.15 ft box.

predictions based on the bgavin spreadksheet calc's.

8. Of the three, the Deltalite-II 2512 is the best bet for sealed.

In B2, f3=67 hz
    In D2, f3=70 hz

The 10" and 15" have f3 at least 10 Hz higher.

9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks all! I gather from what I've been able to piece together here that some speakers are better for sealed boxes and others for vented. Just want to see where these fell.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Question to the experts: Is it just a matter of modeling a driver in sealed and vented boxes, and seeing which way it works better?

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    a number of manufacturers are using the deltalite speakers in their bass cabs. Avatar, EA, etc...

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not necessarily, it's more a matter of what you're trying to get out of it. The best way to approach a design is to decide what type of alignment you want to use and then try a variety of drivers to see what works best in it.

13. Nope.

The driver parameters determine the optimum enclosure. Typically an EBP >= 100 is for vented boxes, and <= 50 for sealed.

The EBP for 10", 12" and 15" Deltalite-II is: 118, 84, 102 respectively. Note the 12" has the EBP closest to 50. It's the AC/DC driver cuz it can swing either way. The 10" is much better suited in a vented box.

A sealed box has less output than a vented box. Theory shows this to be 3dB typically. I have one sub that is optimum in nearly the same volume for both vented and sealed. Actual measurements of this sub with port open vs port blocked show a 3dB drop in the bass range.