Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eminence for Black Widow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tryeguy, Jun 10, 2005.

1. tryeguy

tryeguy

Sep 28, 2004
    I brought my older used Peavey combo 300 into a very reputable amp repair shop because the speaker was making fuzztone / farting sounds. It was the original Black Widow 15 in the cab, and the repairman tried to replace the basket, but somehow, (maybe due to a accidental fall, or being dropped before I owned it) the magnet came loose and shifted, and the cone was rubbing up against it. The repairman said he couldnt replace the cone, and said a new speaker was the way to go. He said he could order another identical 350 watt Black Widow which would take a couple weeks and over $200, or put a 400watt re-coned Eminence 15 he had in the shop into it instead for half the cost, $100. Is there that big a difference between the two speakers? I mean can the ear notice a discernable difference soundwise, especially while playing with the band? Is it okay to make the switch? I know certain speakers must be used for certain cabs, but the Peavey Combo 300 is just a simple very heavy box with a couple triangular ports near the bottom, and will be used for band practice, nothing really serious. Please, any thoughts?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Black Widow speakers are amazing in my experience. "Over $200" sounds a little steep to me though, try contacting Peavey.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The Eminence speaker will have a model number, and they guy who re-coned it will have the data on what recone kit he used. This re-coned speaker should be evaluated based on the specifications/model it has been reconed to. Only then can you evaluate the parameters of the speaker in relation to the cabinet internal volume, etc to be able to predict how it will perform. Otherwise, its a roll of the dice.

And just because the Eminence speaker might be rated at a jillion watts handling capability dosent mean its the right speaker for your amp. Get the data and check out the eminence website and start your research.
    Enjoy the journey.

4. The repair guy is completely ignorant or trying to rip you off.

Peavey speakers have replaceable basket assemblies. For $80 at American Musical, you buy a new basket, which has the voice coil and speaker frame. You simply bolt the old magnet (with 3 screws) onto the new speaker basket and away you go.

5. That's right! I forgot about that! That's the way to go.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes, your repair guy forgot to tell you something:-

1) 15's ain't 15's. Put the wrong speaker in the wrong sized cab, and even a brilliant speaker will sound and perform like garbage. The speaker's Thielle Small Parameters determine the speaker’s ideal enclosure size, so there's no fudging it.

2) Assuming you can find a speaker that is happy in the size of your enclosure, you'll have to re-tune the porting. See the ports that let the air escape from the cab? They're not random. They're designed to be a certain length and diameter and are therefore tuned to a certain frequency. It's a very important part of the design of a vented cab and has a huge effect on how the cab will respond in the bottom end, both in sound and speaker cone excursion.

The chances of finding a speaker that likes the same cab size and porting as your existing cab are virtually nil. Generally speaking, any speaker replacement will require the cab to be retuned. It's actually not much more work to build a whole new, correctly sized and tuned, enclosure from scratch in most cases.

The exception to this is if you buy the exact same speaker again, or get the damaged one reconed. If he won't do it, find someone who will.