Eminence front bass tab???????

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Chili, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    I have been looking for a bass tab for this song for a lonnnngg time. Does anyone no if john uses a 5 string bass or just down tunes it?, oh it would be great if anyone no's where i can find a tab of this lol
  2. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I dunno about the tab, haven't seen one.

I always assumed he down-tuned. It sure sounds like the Alembic basses he favored at the time and I don't recall seeing or hearing of any 5-strings.
    But maybe he had one somewhere; there's a similarly deep part on "Love is a Heart Attack" from his Too Late The Hero solo album from around the same time.

If you can find the old video they had of that song, which I believe was taped "live" at a soundcheck for the '82 tour, the few brief closeups of John are priceless because it's a great angle for seeing his right-hand technique. I had it on VHS when I was a kid and that's where I learned to sound sort of like him. It's a weird technique, sort of a light swipe-smack on the string, not a pluck or pop. Sounds sort of like a thumb-slap but subtly different and you can do it REALLY fast :)
  3. CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I too am looking for this...

...why is it impossible to find????
  4. Jeremy Fisha

Jeremy Fisha

Sep 6, 2007
    Paper Box
    Cause he's too damn good. And hardly anyone can duplicate the song, not even the who Tablature project has it.
  5. Methodis

Sep 22, 2008
    Concord, NH
    This and Deluxe by Lush are the two songs I wish there was bass tabs of :(
  6. CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    As screwed up as most tabs are.....I just can't believe no one has taken a stab at it. It would give us newbs that don't quite have an ear a basic idea at least.
  7. I am a huge John Entwistle fan and I have attempted to model my playing after him.

Since I started collecting bass and guitar mags I have accumulated these:

The format is Song, Month and Year, Magazine.

:bassist: Substitute (Live at Leeds) November 2006 Bass Guitar

:bassist: My Generation
    April 1995 Bass Player

:bassist: Happy Jack August 2004 Guitar World

:bassist: Pinball Wizard
    August 2005 Guitar World

:bassist: 5:15 September 2006 Bass Player

:bassist: My Generation January 2007 Guitar World

If anyone is interested, you could order back issues if you would like to get these songs.

If anyone is aware of any other magazines that have John Entwistle tabs, I would be interested in hearing from you. I hope this post doesn't change the theme of this thread.
  8. mad_hatter67

Oct 4, 2008
    Honestly, for newbs out there, there are probably easier things to learn than anything Entwhistle does.
  9. CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I've never been the type of guy to take the "easy" route. You really don't get far in life with that attitude.
  10. mad_hatter67

Oct 4, 2008
    I didn't mean take the easy route. I meant that there are other guys out there that you can learn different things from, that may have a few more tabs that you can study than Entwistle.
  11. Inviscid

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm actually tabbing the song right now, and I'm almost done. From my experience, I must say that it is extremely difficult, but all the notes played could be found on a 4 string bass. I don't think he uses a 5-string or down-tunes.

I have also been looking for the tab for this song for a long time. You wouldn't expect much, based on the very minimalistic bass work during the verses, but then the chorus is so crazy.
  12. CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Wow! Keep up the good work.

I'd love to see what you come up with.
  13. There are several versions on YouTube. I sat with a bass and headphones just now, and, yeah he does appear to be dropped below E. Check it out here: In the beginning he hits the low F and then something below E(Seems to be D#). Listen to the first few bars he comes in. Guy's all over the place. I commend anyone who can get Entwhistle tabbed accurately. Thank you!

14. b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    You should be able to play De-Luxe without any tabs, it's eighth note roots the entire song!
  15. Methodis

Sep 22, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I found a master version of Eminence Front with seperated bass, so if anyone wants it give me a shout.
  16. Portorium

Dec 30, 2008
    Could we please have a little peek at what you've come up with so far? I'm DYING to learn this song but I can't for the life of me do this without a tab :meh:
  17. thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    that would be fantastic!

I've seen a couple of attempts by folks on youtube, but I think he must be dropped half a semitone or something because although the two notes at the beginning sound like an F and a Db, the Db is completely out unless you bend it a touch. I thought it was intonation/tuning problems on my part, but nope! :confused:
  18. Inviscid

Dec 21, 2008
    Well, I don't want to release it to you guys right away because I don't want to release the tab without representation. In the next few days I'm going to make a video and post it on youtube, then afterwards you can e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I'll let you guys know when that happens. What I can say is that the "trebly" high notes that Entwistle plays centers around the D and G string ranging from the 10th to the 15th fret. He usually plays that for two bars, then responds with a low riff for the next two bars, such as:

Also, for the previous post, I agree that the verses are played in F and D sharp, but I prefer to play the low E instead of D sharp, because it sounds almost the same.
  19. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    :bassist: Happy Jack August 2004 Guitar World

:bassist: 5:15 September 2006 Bass Player

could u just copy them out and send them to me?