Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eminence gamma 10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Jul 10, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Has anyone tried these in a 2x10 cab like an AVATAR? The have alittle more top end than the regular deltas. They have the same high frequency response as the 10" in my ampeg 8x10 and thats the sound I really like. I know that alot of you guys run simulations on speaker building programs but I want to hear from people who have actually have used them.

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Anybody? Your kidding me. With all the gear freaks on here.......

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You told the "simulation" guys to stay out of it. I've never used the speaker but I'm sure I can tell you what you need to know based on T/S data.

4. I used them in a JC-90. They are smooth, Ok low end, and exellent mids.

5. You have Private message

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    OK simulation guys, I give up. Tell me what I need to know! Please. :)

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    As in: I'm not interested in Engineering anything, but if I can get some good adjectives from other people's personal experiences I'll know what to do.

I'd really recommend you do your homework, there's an abundance of good material online and available. And, while you may ultimately suit yourself, with a 1.6mm Xmax the 10" Gammas aren't built for a lot of cone excursion, and if you're using them for live sound with a drummer or distorted guitars, you may be disappointed by how far you can drive the Gammas without distorting. That consideration aside, I've heard that they're nice-sounding speakers.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've run a simulation and I'm affraid Clap's right. It seems that this 300W speaker can be driiven to X-max (ie distortion) with significantly less that 300W at frequencies below 250Hz. At 100Hz, a mere 15watts will do it.

It's a PA driver. Use it as a mid-high and use a crossover to keep anything low away from it. Then use a seperate sub for bottom end.

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. Im looking for a speaker that has alittle more high end than the delta's in my avatar cabs. I use a gritty tone and do not like tweeters. I want the punch of the delta's with the top end of an ampeg driver (5khz I believe) Any suggestions guys? ........Especially the engineering guys!!!!

10. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Add a midrange driver. The combination of high excursion and low fs required for good bass response along with producing strong highs is very difficult to achieve from a single driver. The B102 with a whizzer is a viable alternative, and has a much better bottom end than the Delta 10 as well. Both the Delta and Gamma series (except the Delta LF) are better suited to guitar than bass.

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    What would be the result of putting one of the B102 speakers in an avatar cab with one delta 10. I have a pair of the 2x10 cabs with the delta's. I know that the wattages are different but do not know if this would make a huge difference because of different sensativities, etc. I would like to try this and therefore only have to buy 2 b102's intstead of 4.

13. A mess.

The B102 requires 0.4 to 0.6 cubic feet, which is MUCH less than the Avatar internal volume. Mixing two dissimilar drivers in the same acoustic space is asking for mess.

IMO, leave the Avatar alone, sell it and buy what you want. Hacking on it will reduce its resale value to zero, and give you something that sounds like ass.

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    How about replacing the pair of deltas with the a pair of b102's then?

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can no more toss any drivers into any box than you can toss any size tires onto any car. If the cabinet and drivers aren't properly matched and attuned to each other they simply won't work right.

16. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Could someone run a simulation with the avatar 2x10 cab and a pair of b102's and let me know what they find? I don't have the program and probably wouldn't know what to do with the results anyway! thanks for all the feedback guys.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's an unusual request which means you should look at unusual
    solutions.

Firstly forget the BP102. It's designed for bottom end and it appears you're trying to achieve the opposite. And the cab volume and port tuning are not even close.

Also forget the whizzers. Sure they cover the frequency range you're after, but most still use some sort of horn, and you've indicated you don't want to go in that direction.

If it were me, I'd buy two Eminence Alpha 6's and put them in their own little sealed enclosure (16 litres, 0.56cu.ft). Then I'd add a crossover into the enclosure at maybe 500Hz. The crossover does 2 things. It keeps lows away from the little 6's, but it also removes any problems with changes to nominal impedance.

Then it's simply a matter of daisy chaining the 2x6" to the Avatar. Everyone wins! The Avatar remains at it's original design and retains it's resale value, your amp sees the same nominal impedance, you get more mids and highs without the use of tweeters.