Eminence HL10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Does anyone have any opinions on Eminence HL10, Gamma 10A or Delta 2510A drivers?

I see where the HL10's have an Fs of 32Hz and a whopping xmax of 11.1 and they handle 300 watts each.

Are they suitable for a full range bass cab, say a 210 cab?

Or would one of the other two be better suited for a full range 210 cab?
  2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I already own the plans for a DR250a.

I'm just curious as to which of these three would be best in a full range 210 cab that can handle the low end.
  3. Deltalite 2510 in 1.39 cubic feet, tuned at 41 Hz.

The HL-10a is a premium driver, but it is a subwoofer.

The Avatar B210 NEO is very close to optimal size for the stock 2510 driver. Tuning is most likely too high. Avatar uses a custom driver, and I do not have the T/S data, so cannot judge if the cab is right or not.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks Bruce.

I kind of thought the HL10 was too much a dedicated subwoofer. Looks like great specs for a sub (given that it's only a 10"), doesn't it?

The 2510 seemed to be the best, but I wanted to hear from those who have more info and/or experience with them.

The 2510 has a fairly low xmax though. How does it stand up in a bass cab? I take it given the correct volume cab and port tuning, that wouldn't matter.
  5. You can get a 2510 with larger Xmax from Avatar Speakers. They put a custom-made model into their NEO cabs.

I have a dialog going with Dave now over empty cabs, perhaps he will be willing to share the T/S data for the custom 2510.

One of the TB'ers here has the stock 2510 working. I remember one of his comment being they are bright sounding. Try a search.

The stock 2510 has an F3 between 67 and 78 Hz, depending on alignment. If it were me, I'd use SBB4 tuned at 41 Hz for max protection of the driver at low E.

Note the 2510 is only good for 55 to 59 watts before it exceeds Xmax. If you never play low E, the QB3 alignment is good for about 89 watts before Xmax.
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The HL10 a is a great driver, but unless horn loaded the sensitivity is too low for pro usage. The Neo Delta is a better choice by far as a full range driver, but doesn't have what it takes for horn loading. The Gamma doesn't have the xmax that bass requires. The driver to use is very much cabinet dependant.
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I see where sensitivity is an issue for the HL10.

It's only rated at 87.1 db. That's pretty low. However wouldn't more power compensate for that?

If that does hold true...how much power would be required to get it at about 95db (about where the 2510 is rated at)? From my understanding it takes twice as many watts for every 3db increase.

Just curious if the HL10, if really pushed with alot of power, would be worthwhile for full range?
  8. The HL-10a is useless for full range because it rolls off above 150 Hz, spikes up around 700 Hz, then plummets above that. It is a subwoofer.

The 87 SPL sensitivity is a problem without horn loading. My 15" Rockford subs are 89 SPL, and I drive them with a PLX 3002. They are good for a maximum (on paper) SPL of 116 at 1 meter. This does not account for power compression... and 116 SPL ain't all that loud. I make up for it by using (4) when loudness is required. That is a lot of cabs to haul around.

Subtract -2dB sensitivity for the HL-10a (or my Rockford 10" which are the same), and this makes for a very low output driver even with a lot of input power.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks Bruce. I was looking at Eminence specs for that speaker...specifically the plot for it and you are so right. Very low SPL and then it jumps off the charts at about 750Hz and then plummets quickly above that.

Good for a sub though. I may bi-map in the future and use this as a sub in a cab with it's own amp.

Thanks again.
  10. Put it inside a Tuba 24...
  11. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    :bassist: Did you build one yet??
  12. Nope, like Bill, my shop is "closed" for the winter. I work outside.

I have to build 2 prior to April for an upcoming show.