eminence kappa 12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Nov 22, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so for my second cabinet, i think i've decided to have a guy build the cab. i'm thinking of a 2x12 with a horn. i was gonna use eminence kappa 12's with a fostex horn. so what do you think about this idea. i'd be using it mainly for practice at home, and for gigs with blues/funk/rock bands. how do these speakers hold up for bass? let me know. thanks.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Great speakers for bass. Just be sure that the cabinet size is appropriate for that speaker. There is a program available at their site which computes cabinet volume for you - a great tool if you plan on building cabinets.
  3. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm not the one actually building it. another guy who knows more about it is doing it for me. i would go with avatar, but dave isn't making a 2x12. oh well. we'll see.
  4. I just ordered a pair of Kappa 12s and a Foster tweeter from Avatar.They should get here in a week or so.I've got a SWR Workingmans 2-12 cabinet that had Celestion 12s and a piezo tweeter in it.The tweeter is blown and the cabinet can only handle 250 watts with the Celstion 12s so I thought I'd upgrade it so I could use it as a stand alone cab.The cabinet is 23"-23"-18" deep and figures out to be 2 cubic feet for each driver without subtracting for the speakers and ports.The ports are 3.75"tubes and are 2 5/8"long.I'm going to use an Eden crossover with it.They are available from Edens web site and are really affordable.My other cabinet is a 4ohm Eden 210xlt.The Eden and SWR are the same depth and width so they should stack well.When I get it together I'll post a review.
  5. The link below is a plot of the Kappa 12 in two different vented alignments.

The SBB4 offers the better transient performance (read: tightest bass), but both alignments are VERY good here. The 1.25 cubic feet required by this driver is very modest. A 2x12 is quite do-able without becoming over large, and still maintaining the correct volume and tuning.

The QB3 alignment offers the flatest response before rolloff, but rolloff is faster, and the tuning frequency is much higher at 63 Hz. Transient performance is not as good as SBB4, but both are VERY good for this driver. Nearly flat... very little group delay.

My preference is the SBB4 alignment because of the lower tuning frequency (45 Hz) which will work fine with a 4-string bass. The Eden D410XLT is tuned at 44 Hz, so you are in good company. This will give you a very nice cab with a bottom end typical of many commercial cabs such as the XLT.

Link to Kappa 12 QB3 and SBB4 Plot