Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eminence LEGEND B102 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you think a well designed 2x10 based on the Eminence LEGEND B102 driver will compare to ,say, a SWR Goliath Junior III? Will it have the same, better or worse low end response for a 4-string?

Please help!
    Any toughts are welcomed!

2. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I guess this depends whether you put the B102 into a closed or ported cabinet. I have used the B102 in a closed cabinet and it is great for anything above 150Hz.

I am not sure that the B102 is suitable for a ported cabinet, allowing you to extend the low range performance. There are others on this site who would know better than me.

The Goliath is quoted at -3db at 45 Hz. This means that the last few notes down to low E (40 Hz) would start to lose volume. I am not sure whether this would be noticeable. SWR mention in their blurb using the cab in a bi-amp rig : perhaps they assume you would use it with a sub to strengthen up the low end.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The B102 is supposed to be used in a ported cab. The BP102 on the other hand is supposed to be used in a sealed cab. Did you mix the two up?:confused:
    I was going for a SBB4 ported cab tuned to 45 Hz.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW How did your sealed cab sound, flacko?

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    No , I used the B102 sealed in about 10 litres from memeory. The BP102 was not available when I was buying. The B102 sounds fantastic but bear in mind I only use it > 150Hz.

I use the bi-amp facility in my amp. Below 150 I use a Kappa 15LF in a ported cabinet.

At what Hz are you aiming for at -3 Db.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have no idea. I will just put the speakers in a cab suited for the driver which is a 40litre box (for two drivers) and tune it to 45 Hz. This is the way to do it according to bgavin.

7. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Now you're listening to the right man! Good luck with your project - I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the results.

bgavin was a great help in my project. I ended up with a cab that was exactly what I'd hoped for.

Have you found a supplier for all the bits and pieces for the cabinet construction - good plywood, carry handles, speaker grilles , port tubing, casters etc ..?

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I already have most of the parts. Just wanted to know if anyone could describe the sound of these drivers so I would know a bit more of what to expect.

Thanks!:)

9. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Sorry I can't be more help with the sound as the cabinet designs are so different but ...

bgavin originally pointed me in the direction of this speaker. There seemed to be nothing else available in the UK that matched them so I went with the advice.

I have used mine full range on accasions just out of interest and it is a pretty spectacular sound. They have a very fast attack, extremely punchy with a smooth high end. There is none of the shrillness that you get with a horn type tweeter but you still get all the top end fiz that you dial in. They also jump at you when you slap!

They are reasonably expensive for a 10 inch speaker but I guess you know that. You certainly get what you pay for.

I'd be interested to know how the cab performs once you've finished it - might do one myself with the left-over wood , corner protectors etc from the last project.

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thats great info. Thanks.
    I will let you know if I go through with this project. So far the best I could find was 89 Euro/driver at some german postorder company. How much did you get yours for?

11. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Mine were approx 75 GBP (including VAT) about one year ago. I got them from a UK based Eminence dealer.

12. The B102 and the JBL E-series have a very similar rolloff characteristic. Neither has much bottom end, and both have a lot of punch. Tuned at 45 Hz (SBB4) in 0.59 cubic feet (16.7 liter), you will have a pseudo mini-JBL.

Power handling for the B102 isn't all that hot below 150 Hz. It will only handle about 75 watts at 80 Hz (SBB4) before it begins to exceed Xmax. If you tune to QB3 (13.1 L at 76 Hz), the power handling is better at 80 Hz, but only 22 watts at low E before exceeding Xmax.

The QB3 tuning is easier to achieve than SBB4 in a tiny cabinet like this. Chuffing is still going to be a problem to solve (bigger diameter, long duct).

In a full power environment, this driver really shines from 125 Hz and up. It mates perfectly with a Magnum 18LF when bi-amped between 125 ~ 300 Hz.

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks bgavin!
    I think I will pass on this. I really want to be able to use the 210 as a standalone although I plan to use a 15" too.

14. I would do a B102 pair as a 2x10 in SBB4.

It will be easier to tune 1.2 cubic feet to 45 Hz, than it is tuning two separate 0.59 cubic feet cabs to 45 Hz.

The SBB4 tuning is low enough to provide acoustic loading to a 4-string player. The QB3 and Flat tunings are much higher, and will significantly unload the driver at low E.

No matter which tuning is used, care must be exercised to prevent over powering the drivers. Used as a full range cab in SBB4, it will do fine in modest loudness environments.

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks again bgavin.
    Why is the Magnum 18LF better than the 15LF or the 15HO in your opinion?
    Ive never played an 18" cab and dont know what to expect.
    The 15HO only needs 76 litres compared to the 18LF´s 114 litres. It also has a 3dB higher SPL.

16. The Magnum 18LF is a direct sensitvity match for the B102. It operates in a modest 4.0 cubic feet / 113 liters, and will fully support a 5-string in standard tuning.

The 15HO has the smaller Xmax of all the Magnum series, and a 6.6 dB delta between 43 and 89 Hz. It rolls off the low end fairly fast, very similar to the JBL E155. It is a loud driver in a fairly small box with a fairly high F3.

The 15LF is a higher Qts driver, with a very low rolloff delta, low F3, but needs a big box. High Qts drivers are more prone to resonate, then roll off quickly. The 15LF will do nicely for a 4-string, except for the large box. The 15LF has the longest Xmax of all the Magnums.

The 18HO requires the largest box of all the Magnums (5.7 cubic feet / 161 liter) is a bit more sensitive than the 18LF, with a similar F3 (54 Hz) to the 18LF.

Note that all the Magnums will make a lot of SPL at 89 Hz (121 ~ 124), adjusted for Xmax limitations. It boils down to cabinet size and bottom end. The 18HO is the loudest and lowest, but at the cost of the largest cabinet.

The Selenium 15SW1P is also a very strong contender in the 15" size and a small cabinet.

17. fluw

fluw

Feb 1, 2011
    i am considering a legend b102 in my traynor ybx1510
    cab. http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=10&cat=62&id=264

i already replaced the eminence design 15 that came in the cab with an altec 416 ( it sounds great!) and i am considering keeping one of the eminence 10" that came in the cab and making the other a legend b102.

can anyone tell me if the ts parameters of the ported 2x10 part of this cab will be correct or at least well matched for this pair of 10"s?

18. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    okay bgavin, et al…
    I've got a bead on 4 legend b102's…. for a good price. And I'm dying to build another cab (I'm sick.)
    Looking at specs, they seem to need a ported cab to go low. Yet, you say it shines 125 and up. Should one build a 4x10 with such speakers? If so, recommendations.
    I play B string every now and then.
    thanks vets,
    fnord!

19. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Tecamp Bass Players Gear, Bartolini Emerging Artist
    Hmmm. A couple of years ago an Emminence Rep told me I could put the BP102 in a ported as well as a sealed cabinet.