1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence Legend CA154 15" Bass Driver??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by audiomitch, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Anybody have any experience with these? I'm rehabilitating an old Peavey 215 cab (not the deep version) and have been looking at these speakers. They're cheap and supposedly sound "vintage". I want two 4 ohm drivers for my 2 ohm Peavey head.

Any opinions?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    any updates? looking for these myself...
    got the Legend CB15 in a Sunn 215 reissue cab and it is super heavy but I would put the CA154 in a Sunn 215S cab I'm about to get to blend with...

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read the FAQ, replacing drivers is far more complicated than inches and watts.

craigie likes this.
  5. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    I know it's not that simple.

I was looking for opinions from a user on how that particular model perform and sound.

I'm searching the forum if this was what you mean by «read the faq»? I'm finding some valuable info...i'll keep searching.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The FAQ is at the top of the page. Getting an opinion of an owner is fine if they're loaded into the exact same cab that you have, as the cab is as much responsible for the result as the drivers within it. But if you don't have the same cab it's like asking a Pirelli owner how he likes them on his Mercedes when you're driving a Prius.

7. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    yeah I get you.

OK! you meant the «Wiki» on the top! sorry for beeing slow and newbie, I guess the night shift don't make me any better...haha I thought the FAQ for forum rules??? I was wondering what I did wrong.

just found THE Faq in that Wiki section, wow I'm impress I have a few questions about upgrading acoustic of my cabs and making sure I use the right speakers but I'll have a good read 1st and learn the terminology in their to explain exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm not a true bassist but since I like using aggresive thump with my baritone, Sunn amps and 15'' inch, I'm at the right place. it will help upgrading my bassist setup and mine since I'm the one getting all the gear and being the sound engineer in the band hehe! I'm a fanatic.

thansk again!

can't wait to see what's hided inside the Sunn 215S I'm picking up tomorow with my very 1st Model T (1st gen)!:hyper:

8. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I just put 2 Beta 12As in an old Fender Bassman/Bandmaster cab. Very aggressive midrange tone. I play pop rock with a P-bass, so it is 100% what I want. No experience with the Legends, but if the Betas will work for your box's stats I give my solid thumbs up.

9. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    yeah I see alot of bass player using most of the Pro Audio series speakers...I tought it was more for PA & Hi-Fi...?

So I've made my choices in Bass & Guitar speakers only...maybe for guitar it's fine, but bass seems like a different world from what I'm learning...

That's why I went with the Legend CB158 for my huge Sunn 215 reissue. there's only 3 choices in the bass 15'' speakers and those seems like the strongest for aggressive abuse.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

and here's the specs of that cab:

http://www.sunnamps.com/pdfs/manuals/bass/Sunn_215.pdf

the volume of the cab/speaker seems right and with 300w each, I'm confident it will take anything. My guess is it might be to much for what the Sonaro can put out but judging from the volume of the cab vs speakers, what I ear & certainly feel! it can put out a Sonaro 80w 6550 maxed with bass boost engaged, Bass Big Muff(bass boost mode)+LBB-1 in front with ease.

next test will be the Sunn Model T.

for the Beta 12A, I only have 15'' cabs for the bass at the moment but I'll keep that in mind. would be nice to have a 15'' cab mix with a 12'' or 10'' cab. low end & punch. I mix 15'' with 12'' for my Baritone and it covers highs & lows really good.

I'll have to verify the specs of the 215S that is smaller I think...for my next bass 15'' speaker choice. thought about using something with a different flavor that will go with the Sonaro.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Eminence has at least ten fifteens to choose from. :confused:

Eminence spec sheets tell you the recommended cab size range for their drivers, but that only says if the driver will work at all, not how well. You can only know that by modeling the driver/box combination, the comparing the results for response and maximum power handling with your amp. That's critical, as for best results you do not want to use the same driver with 50 watts as you do with 400. With low power amps you'll get a much less useful result with a low Qts high power long excursion driver than a high Qts, medium power, lower excursion, and much lower priced, driver.

11. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    yeah I mean if you go on their website in the
    guitar/bass>bass guitar>15''
    3 choices comes out

but I now know their's a few more options I can use in the Pro Audio section too.

I'll probably find something suitable in the Pro Audio/American Standard Series for a decent price. I don't care about weight savings.

12. chev

chev

Dec 15, 2010
    Ok, I've install Windows XP 32 on my mac (yuk) just to get WinISD working.

So I'm up for doing some measurements and do my homeworks...so from now on I won't be guessing what works!

thanks!

13. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    so for higher power it is maybe ok to have a qts lower than .35 for a sealed cab (weather a 15 or a 12 or pairs thereof)?

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Bill is no longer a member of TB, I am sad to say.