1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence LF series driver wattages

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3rdcurve, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    So, all of the LF series drivers are rated at 450/900 watts. Theoretically, if there a guys running 2-3 kilowatts into your 1515/66s then I should be able to pump the same amount into my 3010LFs right? I have run my 210 with a Streamliner 900 and a MB800, but part of me thinks I am not seeing the full potential of my cab.

I am looking into lightweight power amps. I read in one post that the crest prolite 2.0 had less output than the streamliners slightly exaggerated 900 watts even though it's rated at 2000 watts.

Since the power ratings seem pretty inflated I have been looking into the prolite 3.0 and Carvin DCML3000.

2. You could "pump" 10,000 watts into them till they burnout. Would that be their "full potential"?
    You will reach and may have already reached the power compression point. Past that point it may "seem" like they could take more but in reality the extra power is producing more waste heat and less "work". It's your money, enjoy finding the burnout point.

3. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Thanks, very helpful......

I was definitely was not hitting power compression with either head.... Which is the reason for me thinking I was leaving more performance on the table. I dropped some coin on this cab and while I definitely don't want to damage it, I would like to know what it is capable of.

It gets really loud when I push the Streamliner into the 3pdm and sounds great doing it. The MB800 punches a bit more but the amp sounds like poop when it clips. Maybe I should get an Fdeck HPF to run with the GK and be done with it.

4. Imho the ProLite 2.0 is where I would go with a 2x 3010lf cab. Gives you a fair bit of headroom (bridged) but not a huge amount where you are buying more than you need. Or with a 3.0 you could get away with using one side. The power amp is going to punch a lot harder than the micros do IME.

A fDeck might be a good investment as well.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There really is only one rule... use your head... The one with ears, no I mean actual ears, not rack ears ..,

The power handling of the driver is a function of it's thermal handling and excursion characteristices and the cab design. And of coure the frequency.

So if the question is how much can the cab handle, there is really no good answer for you except, bring up the power slowly and pay attention... By which I mean listen for signs of breakup, bottoming and other nastiness. Hear any of that then back the volume or the low frequencies...

IMO 2K watts at 40 hz and a 1566 is going to spit driver dust all over the grill ... Of course your ears will have gone long before then unless your wireless can reach the next county over :)

6. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    According to AJhorn the 3010LF in a 27liter enclosure tuned to approx 45hz will take 250watts before it starts to exceed xmax. Give it more then 250watts and it will 1st start to fart out with frequencies between 60-70hz and below 40hz.
    A fearfull (3015LF, 120liters tuned to approx 43hz) will take the full 450watts from 38hz and up, above 450watts it will 1st starts to fart out between 55-70hz and below 38hz.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You know what power compression sounds like?

I usually cut thermal ratings in half to allow a 3db loss in max. output there, but it is a moving target.

8. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Yes I owned a bag end stack that would start to compress before I got to the end of the dial on a LM3.

Thermal is all I am concerned with since the enclosure the drivers are mounted in allows for the drivers to never unload.

The designers pushed it with 1400 watts from an Ashly with no fartout. Maybe the TBr who was claiming the crest prolite 2.0 was quieter than his Streamliner didn't have it bridged, I will look into that.

9. I think you can over extend any driver with enough power.

I would claim user error.

10. Greenboy did a darn fine job designing the cabs for those well designed NEO drivers. The worry is NEO's in a well designed cab for them are very graceful in handling power compression. The usual sound of power compression and uncontrolled bottoming (farting) of less "designed" cabs is not present. I believe the only sure way to find the power compression onset would be a white noise power to spl graphing.

11. Dont think 3rdCurve is using a greenboy cab.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've no doubt there was some compression going on in both examples. All speakers get it to some degree, especially at those power levels.

It would depend on peak to average signal levels, over how long a playing time as well as playing style (driving eighth notes or syncopated with rests, etc.). As far as the amp comparisons you would have to account for baked in eq and limiting schemes, etc.

In even the most efficient speaker, in the true sense of the word, over 90% of what you send them turns into heat. What you hear is however much of that last <10% that "makes it through" and actually becomes sound.

13. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Big E 210 flex

14. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Maybe you should ask the nice fellows at Big E. The vortex may have driver cooling properties...

15. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Dunno about driver cooling, but gonna shoot them an email. I gotta say , I am surprised that most of you think I have nothing to gain over my two micro heads. Well, if that is the case at least I don't need to spend any more money!

16. Ah poor reading on my part. I have no info to go by with the Big E's.

17. IF the MB800 you speak of is the G-K MB800 at 4 ohms it will produce over 1,000 watts sustained burst (full note) power. That little micro is a speaker killer ;)

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With both of those amps, the fearfuls should be nearing their excursion limits about the time the amp runs out of gas, but that is only on transient peaks, not continuous power.

If your Bagends are the typical rear-ported bass cab models, they may've been unloading. Those boxes are tuned fairly high. Nice sounding speakers IMO, but a lot of stuff out there will have noticably deeper bottom.

19. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    It definitely packs a punch! I think I may try putting an Ffeck in front of it before buying a power amp.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm thinking the amp could but the vibrating string won't give it what it needs to do so?

A 1000 watt peak might be 200-300 watt continuous? Which is already a lot more than a lot of amps.