Eminence Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The day before yesterday, the D-string started that nasty "tonk" too. It wasn't there to any degree prior, no matter what right hand technique was used. Either it indeed is bad strings or the structural problem is expanding. I'll get replacement strings later this week and report what happens.

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I won't be reporting on whether or not the strings were a fix. Yesterday it developed a static/farting sound on all strings when plugged in. I tried two different amps and two different cords. This one is going back and I'm being sent a new one.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Rod, apologies if you know this already, but I have found that the position of the bridge is really critical to the sound. If you have nasty popping noises or other strange crackling sounds from all strings the foot of the bridge may not be sitting correctly on the pickup foil. When you tighten the strings the bridge tends to be pulled up towards the neck and that will result in the foot of the bridge not pressing down evenly on the pickup. Try to press down on and reposition the bridge while tightening the strings, and make sure you counteract the tilting that results from the string tension. I had to reset the bridge several times after changing the strings before the sound was OK again. I have the portable version of the bass but have decided to not take it apart for transport if I can avoid it because of this setup problem.

Maybe you have already decided to return the bass, but I hope this may be of some help with this or your next bass.

4. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The thing is, it had to move by itself. It was fine before and the feet are well set and the bridge is straigh up. I suppose I could try farting around with it more. But this is something that developed over night without any readjustments.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK, I thought it was after changing the strings, in that case it doesn't apply.

Sounds like some other problem then, possibly the pickup has developed a fault.

Maybe it's good to start afresh with another bass, sometimes you simply get a lemon. :(

6. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I still haven't received the new strings yet. I hadn't even adjusted to a new bridge height. Heck, I hadn't even tuned up yet. A preliminary note to do so and there it was.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey guys, it looks like it's been a while since anyone added to this thread, but can I ask?

Do you guys still feel that this is one of the best EUB's out there? I am SERIOUSLY considering getting one. I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but I'm in a position to have one sent to where I am from a remote store to check it out, but I want to make sure it's going to be worth it.

Also, what type of pre-amp would best compliment this bad boy? I've seen the Fishman Pro-EQ or whatever it's called and that thing seems like it would do the job, and then some. I'm sure there are simpler ones out there, what is best for an EUB like this?

Oh, and I'll be getting the 5-string fixed neck.

edit: Also, what is the best type of strings to use to get a more traditional sound in both a finger style and bowing situation?

8. Hi guys & gals

Just took receipt of a (very seldom) used Eminence 5 string today via Ebay. A late present to myself despite an impending tax bill.

The theory regarding my purchase is solid enough, and initial impressions, when teamed up with an old Fishman pre-amp and SWR workingman 12, seem to suggest I've made the right move, and, I've just about had enough of waiting at airport carousels wondering how many bits of my bass are going to show up!

Do any of you use an Eminence? If so, I'm looking for suggestions re new strings. The existing strings don't quite seem consistant in terms of volume or tone and as I'm thinking of putting a C string on the top, perhaps now is the right time to sort out a complete replacement set and totally risk bankruptcy!

My gigs range from folk to Jazz to bigband and I'd like hybrid strings which will handle both pizz and arco equally well.

Any thoughts please would really be appreciated. I know it's a bit like 'how longs a piece of string' but these basses must have a fairly similar sound to start with.

Cheers

Rod

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Rod
    I also recently got a good price on a used Eminence (4 string though). Upon receipt of it I was a bit underwhelmed after all the hype. My initial problem was that it didn't feel "solid" enough (I'm used my upright and my Knutson Messenger) and the Helicore Hybrids with low action sounded just plain lame. But after talking to Bob and Mark Gollihur I got some good ideas on how to maximize the sound.

Definitely get new strings. I went with Spirocore E and A and Obligato G and D which is what I have on the other two basses. I also cranked up the action A LOT. Then it started so sound more like an amplified upright, if not an acoustic one.

I enjoy playing it a lot more now and always use it on cocktail hours and other gigs were I have to double or where space is an issue. Out of all the EUBs I've tried, it definitely gets the most "air" in the sound when amplified. The amplified tone is very close to an upright running through an amp. It gets the right amount of decay in the notes (the Knutson sustains forever, good, but different) and plays extremely evenly across all strings. The evenness was really a surprise I didn't expect and am very happy with. It is also a very easy bass to play in thumb position.

Also unless you have an impedance matching amp, like the Acoustic Image, you'll want to run it through a preamp of some kind. Definitely change the strings and jack up the bridge and you'll be very surprised at how different it sounds, it makes a huge difference.

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    One more thing. It definitely does not fall into the category of sounding like a really big fretless bass guitar. It definitely sounds acoustic. ;)

11. Hi Abaguer
    Thanks for your reply - very interesting! I've just put on a set of Obligatoes C - E and I'm actually considering taking them off again. Although really easy to play they're just too dark sounding for me - just a matter of preference I suppose and also amp being used. In my case I'm using an SWR workingman which probably aint helping anything (or hurting anything either!).

I actually prefer the sound from the strings that were there - 3 of them have green winding with gold stripes at the tailpiece end (the G string is purple with gold stripes) - are these definitely Helicores?

The Eminence is a nice bass and is certainly the most acoustic not URB I've heard. I'm pretty happy with my purchase, made because I fly a lot and need something which won't cost management a load of dosh in excess luggage charges. The action's already pretty well jacked up so I guess the last owner did that. One other thing - did your end pin rattle when you bought it and if so, how did you fix it - I've been thinking of taking it out and cutting a piece off!

Cheers

12. The 3 seem to be hybrid Helicores, but for the G I'd bet a Kolstein Varicore.

13. Thanks Francois.

Can anyone give me a comparison between the sound of Corellis v Obs. Are the Corellis brighter and do they sustain well? I think the inherent sound of the Eminence is already quite warm and rich thus the problem with the Obs.
    Has anyone any other suggestions along these very vague guidelines. By the way, I'll probably sell these new Obligatos if anyone's intersted?
    Thanks for your help so far guys I'd like my next string purchase to be as successful as possible even though I realise it's very much a case of suck it and see......!

14. On my Carruthers EUB, the Corellis definitely sound brighter and have more sustain than Oblis, which I don't like at all, and they're easy to play.
    They have less volume though, but with an EUB it's a moot point I guess! :)

15. Thanks again Francois - that sort of confirms my suspicions.

Looks like the plastic is gonna get yet another hammering very soon! Is it possible to get a high C Corelli anyone?

16. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    BelfastBass
    Yes, my endpin rattles as well. The only thing I've figured out to do is to tighten the screws along whatever sweet spot the endpin decides won't make it rattle.

Yeah the Corelli's should definitely give it brighter sound. I'm real happy with the Obligatos for what I want, at least for now.

17. Thanks Abaguer - would you mind explaining the endpin solution in more detail please. Cheers......

18. I had a rattling endpin problem with my Carruthers as well.
    I had him make me a special smaller one, because I'm playing seated on a drummer's throne, but I also wrap the endpin with black vinyl electrical tape, on the portion that's inside the bass, to eliminate any rattling. Worked fine!

Corelli do have a high C available in both nickel and tungsten series (380 and 370).
    It should be noted that these strings, along with the D & G, are nickel wrapped in either sets.
    Only the A & E are wrapped with tungsten in the 370 series.

19. Thanks guys - really useful info!

20. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    BelfastBass
    As you can see, troubleshooting and problem solving are my foretes :D

Francois' solution seems like a really good one and I'll give it a shot.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021