Eminence Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Just a heads up for anyone who is lusting after an Eminence: I received notice today that selling prices are going up by approx. 7.5% effective May 1, 2005. That's not just me but from every dealer, as Eminence sets the minimum selling prices for their line of EUBs.

2. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What are the strings that help make the Eminence bass sound most like a full upright to you?

I'm thinking of trying out some gut strings to get a less sustained, more thumpy attack. I think the steel strings I've been using are ok (Kolstein Heritage, Corelli 370, Helicore ect..) but the bass has so much sustain that sometimes I think maybe a more 'dull' sting would give the bass more of a percussive effect I'm looking for.

Anyone else use gut on these basses? :confused:

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I've supplied Pirastro Obligatos as well as Lenzer gut strings to my Eminence buyers. I find the instruments respond well to virtually any string preference and as you would expect from a standard size bass. Either of the above would give you a thicker attack.

4. You can give a look to Flexocor and Jargar strings as well.
    They're steel, so they last longer and are more stable with the weather, etc.
    (and available in gauges)

5. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Depends entirely on what sound you like from your "full upright." I use the same strings I use on my home bass, Velvet Garbos. Gary Bartig, who invented the Eminence, told me that's his favorite sounding set as well.

Using good amplifiaction and a pre-amp, I've had no trouble getting a very lovely full sound out of the Eminence with the stock Helicore set it came with. But all depends on what your conception of sound is to begin with.

All the best!

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The only Eminence I ever played was strung with Garbos, and it was really great. It made me decide to switch to Velvets, although I went with the Animas. I think they would be great on an Eminence as well.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I like Labella Goldentone on the whole instrument. The rope core E and A match well with the gut once they break in. The tension is closer and the E is almost like a weich, so while not as hefty, it blends well volume wise with the other strings :) . The bass sounds really good with this setup through a Focus 1.

8. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the tips.

I played a bass with the Velvet strings at a jam last night. I might have to try those suckers if I can find them at a decent price somewhere.

As far as the LaBella gut strings would I have to re-cut the nut on my bass?

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The best price I found on Velvets at the time was from Quinn Violins, with exemplary service from Chris Quinn himself. Great company.

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    On my eminence the guts on D and G have fit without widening nut or bridge slots; they sit high on both but they hold. I put then on that way to try them out in case I didn't like them and since they are nylon wrapped guts similar to Golden Spiral, maybe that's helped with them not fraying or breaking at the bridge. I'm going to have the slots widened now that I've lived and gigged with the strings for a few months.

I should state that I have the Eminence set up for acoustic situations only and am trying to replicate the sound of my upright bass as much as possible on an EUB. I travel with a Knutson EUB that is set up for louder situations and I have all steels on that. Spirocore or Superflexible E and A with Flexocor or Jargar D and G (advice courtesy of Francois). While I prefer the gut/steel combination, this setup is a very good compromise for travel and varying backlines and rigors of getting through airports these days. The Flexocores have a warm blunt sound sound and even though the tension is obviously greater than the Labellas
    they do the job veryy well. The Knutson doesn't sound as acoustic as the eminence, but it is much closer with these strings and the Knutson is more versatile for me with this setup.

As far as the Eminence I think you would be pretty happy with the Velvets (haven't tried them myself but have heard lots of positive feedback from players around here), Labellas or something along those lines. Since it is more acoustically oriented than say an NS or Messenger or most other stick basses, the gut string D and G made a BIG difference in the way it sounded. When I first got it I was actually very, very underwhelmed by the sound and feel (Helicore Hybrids and mid/low action) changing the strings and cranking up the action are what have turned the sound around for me on this instrument. If you are going for a more acoustic sound on EUB as opposed to a more hybrid acousto/electro sound you'd probably like these strings. Hope this helps.
    :)

11. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    fyi, I found the open A thunky when I first got my eminence. I was a URB newbie. For me, it was right hand technique that resolved it for me. I was "picking" at the note and now I use more of my finger and sort of pass over the string. I also switched to Solo Gauge Spirocores, which are less prone to this effect and sound great.

12. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I have an eminence EUB. I did a couple of things that have gotten me a pretty nice baby bass salsa type tone.

- spirocore solo gauge (slightly lower tension than the normal gauge)
    - a chunk of foam under the strings right at the bridge.

However, the realist pickup is a little too dark. I'd like more thump an low-mid energy. I'm not always thrilled with how this bass sounds with my EA wizzy combo and would like to try a different pickup.

My talkbass search came up with a post of Bob Gollihur's recommending a Bass Max (or 2 of them) (to be clear the reco was for a latin sound in general not specifically for the eminence)

Any other ideas?

13. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    I'd try either the Shadow knock off of the Underwood ($49 on MusicYo.com) or maybe the new Revolution Solo. Both sound less bassy than the Realist, and bit "tubbier" in my experience. Might could get that classic, ill defined Ampeg rumble beloved by Latin players.

Best of luck in your search.

14. You may get a thuddier tone with strings like Jargars Dolces for instance.

15. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Joe Santiago (Eddie Palmieri's bassist) uses an Eminence for salsa stuff, and he gets a great baby bass type sound. I would venture to say as a baby bass owner, it is hard to get the real sound any other way. You pay the price though, as the Ampeg is really a one trick pony.

If you check Martin Cohen's Congahead site www.congahead.com, there is a video of a group called La Circunstancia w/ Joe playing the Eminence. I dont know what he is doing with the bass, but it sure sounds Ampeg-like.

Dylan

Dan Robbins likes this.
  16. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    PM sent.

17. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I never heard a 'thunk' on my eminence, but there was a sort of ring at first; weird overtones, etc. I folded up a hand towel and wedged it under the strings behind the bridge. made a big difference Now it sounds great. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

18. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Does anyone use a bow quiver on their Eminence EUB? Any suggestions on mounting would be appreciated.

19. I do! I wish I had a picture....

I use brown shoelaces at each end of the quiver, tied as "loops." The top loop goes over the thumb-screw and the far foot goes through the bottom loop. It works great and I never have to re-tie anything - plus, the quiver is right where I want it! Hope this helps.

20. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks Rob, I'll give it a try.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021