Eminence Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Mar 21, 2001.

1. I have gone through several sets of string over the last few years and finally like the Obligato's best. Took some time to stretch them though. I play through an Acoustic Image Double Shot and it sound pretty good. Not like my upright for sure but lots of times it is easier to carry.

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Not only the pickup, but the preamp you choose makes a huge difference. If you were playing straight into a typical bass amp without an external preamp to match impedance then you’re missing about 50% of what’s possible.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  3. Good point Tom, that is why I like the Acoustic Image.

TomB likes this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I just listed my RN4 for sale locally. If I don't have any luck I'll probably list it here. My New Year's Resolution is to not gig on instruments that I don't enjoy playing. This is the fourth EUB and the second Eminence I've owned. As practical as they are, I guess I'm just not a EUB fan.

- Steve

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’d have to agree... if you can afford and have the ability to only play the real thing at all times, the Eminence can’t compete. But if practical considerations make the full upright a challenge at times, especially for tough load-ins, the Eminence is still a great alternative, as long as the band leader agrees.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    Big fan of my Eminence for after-hours practice in small apartment buildings. As an acoustic bass for performance situations it doesn’t really work for me. I do like it with my Krivo pickup for an “electric double bass” kind of thing for the rock band I play in, but that’s another story completely....

Steve Boisen likes this.
  7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Hi all - I posted a similar request in the strings forum, but thought that I'd try this group as well.
    Could use some advice/feedback from those of you who have used solo gauge strings on your Eminence. I have been using the regular gauge Pirastro Perpetuals on my DB for some time now and find them to be just about perfect for me as far as feel and tension. So I tried a set on my Eminence to see if I could duplicate the sound and feel. They sound great but the tension on the Eminence is noticeably higher. I've been toughing it out for a while but realized that I just don't like playing the Eminence for extended periods (gigs - remember those?) with the higher tension. I'm considering going to a different, softer-feeling string - perhaps Obligatos or Zyex lights) but Mark Golihur suggested also trying a set of the Perps in solo gauge. I've searched through this thread as I believe that I've seen earlier posts about the solos, but didn't come up with much from the search. Anyone have any thoughts about comparing the sound of solo gauge strings (tuned to standard) vs regular gauge? If I tune the regulars down a whole step on the Eminence, the tension/feel is very similar to the strings on the DB. But I'm not sure if there's much tonal difference. Before another $200+ "experiment", I thought I'd check in here first.

8. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Although I've never used Perps I say for sure that Thomastik super flexibles, spirocores and evahs all seem to have the same tonal thing going on when I've changed down to solos....or at least in the ballpark. I use solos exclusively on my db and eminence nowadays due to a hand/shoulder issue. I currently have spiro solos on my db. They'd be the string that changes the most from the lights in my opinion. They're better, warmer! I would most certainly try Mark Gollihurs recommendation of Perp solos. I didn't know there was a perp solo so I reckon I'll be trying some myself soon. I hope this helps in some way.

9. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    thank you - your experience helps reassure me. I love the Perps and on my full size bass they are soft and reasonable tension (Goldilocks - not too stiff and not too floppy).but om the Eminence they are too stiff for my 65 yr old hands.

10. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Your original hesitation in spending the $200+ should be reserved for if you DIDN'T like the perps you already have on. :)

11. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    good point, they are great strings. Not much risk in that case. Hope that all is well out in WA - one of my favorite places in the world!

Mouldy likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021