Eminence Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Mar 21, 2001.

1. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    I'm looking for a portable upright bass and my choice is going to the Eminence to be closer to a "doublebass sound". Like others I'm incertain about a 4 or 5 string. I'm playing in a jazz trio. And I'm very interesting for the use of a new 5 string : new position ...may be other music. I don't really undertand why certain reserv it for a certain style of music .
    The other question is about the feeling of your Eminence 5 string : problems, sound, ...

Thanks a lot

2. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Hi All...
    Ok I'm down to these three choices. I've never played any of these. I had an NS CR5m for a few days, and it had so many problems that I had to send it back. I wasn't really crazy about the sound either. Anyway, I've read all I can about the Eminence and Azola, but don't find too much on the Merchant. l'm looking for a good acoustic amplified sound. I play high volume gigs, and never play acoustically (except maybe @ home).

Your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

3. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Ray,
    Thanks for the link. I had seen those...although I figured they were out of the price range. Last time I saw, they were around 5.5k.

Thanks!

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's about where they are, I think, but I wouldn't be excited about playing any of the others after having this one. Just came off the road. 4 straight weeks of one-nighters, 80% arco.

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Ray,
    The merchant looks very similar...have you tried the merchant?

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i vote for the merchant. i'm a double bass player, not an electric player looking for an in road to double bass, and to me, the merchant is most like a double bass, and the spring bars make a huge difference. i didnt really like the azola at all. eminence was ok, but i still felt the merchant was the most solid of the 3 with the most realist upright bass feel. (i have a messenger which is also great for those same reasons, but if i were to buy again it would be merchant)

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think I played one of his about a billion years ago. Not much recollection of it other than it felt heavy and awkward.

The front of the Alter Ego body is only connected at the top and bottom, which makes it respond much like a real bass. Also, with the bolt-on pieces and all, you would barely be able to tell that you weren't playing a real bass -- until you look down and see your feet.

8. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Very cool! I play a regular Alter Ego (Figaro) and love it.

10. I've been considering that myself lately, Pierre. I play a five string BG and have become very comfortable with the BB string but when I switch to my BSX, I'm back to the limited range of four strings. :meh:

Has anyone experience with the five string Eminance ?

11. Hi guys - I've been playing and touring an Eminence 5 for nearly a year now - playing jazz gigs, folk gigs, musical theatre, country gigs.....

In terms of tourability, it's extremely robust and I haven't had any disasters to date - I use the polycarbonate golf bag flight case I bought with it. The tuning settles down pretty quickly after assembly, although the c string (I have it tuned c, g, d, a, e,) takes a little longer to settle down than the others.

I decided to tune it with a C on top as my main gig at the moment is a contemporary folk gig with a singer who likes quite high cello lines every so often. It bought it with a B on the bottom though and that sounded really full, warm and not as 'floppy' as you might think!

In terms of sound, I use it with an old fishman pre-amp and I do think the instrument's natural sound lacks a bit of low-mids. It's an extremely warm and full sounding instrument though and with a better pre-amp I'm sure this would help sort out the low-mids. I've certainly been able to get some gorgeous sounds from it when going into the house PA via a bass pod.

In terms of playability, I have the action quite high mainly because of the arco thing. I use corelli strings for the g, d, a, e, and a helicore for the c as I found the corelli c string a bit thin sounding.

All in all, I'd recommend the emminence - well made, good sounding, easy to tour.....doesn't get very close to sounding like the 'real thing' but certainly the best compromise I've tried!

Hope this helps........

12. Thanks for the review "BB", I am slowly inching towards this bass and you just gave me a little push ! :smug:

13. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Thanks guy for your answer. I'll bought it for this new year, i' ust don't know if it will be a five or four strings

14. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I bought a 5 off ebay and its the best for arco and pizz in a small body so far. The arco is even better than on my old german carved top.

I also tune it E,A, D, G, C. for solo purpose. It gives more air the the higher sounding notes when pizzed. I recently stripped the "chinese lacquer" off and a lot of frens have commented that its a great looking blonde. Will put up some pics when i have done some clear lacquer on it.

15. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I bought a 5 off ebay and its the best for arco and pizz in a small body so far. The arco is even better than on my old german carved top.

I also tune it E,A, D, G, C. for solo purpose. It gives more air the the higher sounding notes when pizzed. I recently stripped the "chinese lacquer" off and a lot of frens have commented that its a great looking blonde. Will put up some pics when i have done some clear lacquer on it.

16. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
  17. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Apples and Oranges from the looks of it. Eminence is an acoustic bass made small and the Baby Ergo is a EUB, in the Clevinger-Azola mold. What's the parameters of your comparison?

18. For the people who are going there will be a baby ego eub at the MarkBass booth.

19. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Hello :bag:
    The eminence is not an EUB ? a lot of people compare both. An alter ego have a good sound.Even if the Eminence :hyper: look more like a real acoustic DB sure.
    Don't be sarcastic. Just because I don't find anything about this babyego on the forum

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021