Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eminence speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spidersbass, Dec 4, 2004.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    has anyone tried them Eminence speakers/cabs??? what do you think of em? cuz a friend of mine wants to get em, but i've never heard of em.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I know for certain that Ampeg uses Eminence speakers built to their specs, so my guess is you've already heard them. I've been told Eminence custom builds speakers for many of today's cab makers.

-Art

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i found that Fender uses Eminence speakers, not Ampeg though (maybe they do to since your certain). But i've never played on a Fender rig, i got a vendetta against Fender... but this might change my mind.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    At www.steelsound.com you can get cabinets loaded with Eminence speakers at a good price. They have 2x10, 1x15, 4x10 and 8x10 cabinets for sale. I've heard really good things about these cabinets from a guy who sold his Ampeg rig and bought these. I personally did not want to go that route, but if I happen to get rid of my Ampeg, I would probably pick up a couple of these. Steelsound also sells many cabs on eBay cheaper than on their site, so check that out too. Hope this has helped you, and God Bless! -Brad

5. They make excellent bass speakers.
    I have a Kappa Pro LF in an Avatar cab
    Awesome low end, excellent note distinction and clarity.

6. Ampeg, Fender, and countless other companies load their cabs with "custom" order Eminence speakers. They are the top seller of Pro Audio speakers as far as I know. My Avatar cabs sound great with the off the shelf Delta 12lf and Kappa Pro 15lf. I recommend them without hesitation. One word of warning, they make so many models you can't go by the brand Eminence alone.

One other thing. Many of the "custom" order speakers don't have the name Eminence on them.

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Carvin uses Eminence speakers; they're very good for the price.

8. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks a lot. when my friend told me about them i started looking for them on the internet (oh the wonders), and i saw an 8x10 - 1600watts for less than $500 and i thought to myself, "there's gotta be something wrong with 'em". i wouldn't mind getting some of these for myself now that you guys tell me how good they are!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Just about everybody uses Eminence...from Avatar and Carvin to Ampeg, Fender and GK to Schroeder, Acme as well as (IIRC) Aguilar, Bergantino and Epifani.

Many use specially designed loudspeakers, but they all come from Eminence. I think Eminence offers something like 10,000 custom designs to OEMs (original equipment manufacturers).

10. Like I said before Eminence makes many models of speakers and you get what you pay for. They don't make any cabinets as far as I know. I wouldn't expect something for nothing here.

11. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    well of course you always gotta try it out before you buy anything, i dont' know anyplace where i can try out these though http://store.steelsound.com/Detail.bok?no=630. it like buying a car without test driving it, only a real sucker would do that.

12. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    avatar 410neo with neo-eminence.
    amazing cab for $401US.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

To my knowledge, Eminence is the largest speaker manufacturer in the world. You can only buy the speakers they make for manufacturers through the manufacturers as those speakers are specifically designed for a given amp/cab. No doubt their over the counter stuff is up to snuff for the price you pay and used as designed. Any speaker with a 67 code is an Eminence.

14. According to this thread at Carvin, they don't use Eminence speakers.

Carvin thread

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If they say so. If you look at the raw speakers for sale at Carvin.com they sure look like Eminence to me (especially the cast frame speakers). Except for the Celestions of course.

I can imagine that Avatar has drawn quite a few sales away from Carvin...

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Carvin definitely USED to use Eminence speakers, but claims to get them elsewhere recently. Of course, the won't say where . . .

17. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I recently replaced my blown 15" speaker in my Trace Elliot Commando 15 with a Delta 15 and love it.

I've had the poor thing turned up pretty high and still sounds new.

I really like them.

JB

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had Altecs, JBLs, Klispch, Celestions, Eminence, and others. What matters most is not the manufacturer but whether the parameters of the speaker are designed to fit the application it's used for.

19. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    my paramaters are: LOUD, and RUMBLY EARTH SHAKING.

20. This bears repeating.