Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eminence speakers

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by rich37, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Hey Steve,

My Kustom speaker cabinet is 27.5"x7.7"x4.3"
    is it possible to replace these speakers(2x15",200w rms) with eminence speakers 400w rms?
    On the forum they said something about that speaker boxes are tuned to the speakers in them, and lack of space? But could it be that these cabinets are big enough?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Rich,

I'm not much of an expert on the design and spec of speaker cabs, so I'm not sure what the deal would be with replacing them - your best bet would be to contact eminence with as much spec on your cab as you can find and ask them to suggest a suitable replacement speaker. It may well work out more cost effective to sell your cab and buy a new one with an emimence speaker already in (in this month's 1x12 shoot out in Bass Player mag, almost all the cabs had eminence speakers in!)

Good luck in your quest for tone... :oops:)

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  4. splicer1

splicer1

Feb 16, 2001
    Torrance,Ca
    A good source for those speakers is mcmelectronics.com.I replaced a blown 15' in an old Road combo amp with a 15' Eminence from MCM. Sounded great. I think it was about 54.00 plus shipping (no tax).That speaker was rated at 200 watts I think. Hope that helps.They also have a lot of vintage or brand specific speakers.

5. Thanks guys for your reply!!
    This is a question for spliser1:
    Was the eminence speaker more watts then the old blown speaker? because if it was the same its no problem I think, but I'm going from 200w to 400w

6. splicer1

splicer1

Feb 16, 2001
    Torrance,Ca
    I looked in a more recent MCM catalog and it seems that they are not carrying Eminence speakers. It was a few years back when I made that switch. Bummer. I did match the output of the amp_about 175 watts.If you were going to the 200-400 watt range I saw an EV that was $154 that would handle that. good luck...Mike