Eminence spkrs... (I blame TB! )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrOrange, Aug 13, 2004.

1. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Ok guys & gals,
    Reading all these threads about cabs and rigs and all the wonderfulness of the world has left me with a case of GAS.
    Too bad I've pretty much blown away my gear budget for the year (and perhaps a little more), so huge investments are not likely to happen. I'm already on a low-budget bean diet and enjoying it like a kick in the crotch, thanks for asking. :p

But anyway, like said I got a GAS attack and am coveting for a 2x10 to go along with my 1x15. Reading all these cab construction threads made me think about building one myself. I've built guitar cabs before with pretty good results and still have some materials left, only the speakers are missing.

The ones readily available for a decent price 'round here are Eminence speakers: Beta, Gamma, Delta. Any experience on these? Opinions? Tips? Help? Pain? Suffering?
    And the problem seems that the dealers carry them only in 8 ohm versions, I'd need the cab to be 8 ohm so I could drive it w/the other cab at 4 ohms. My amp is 300W so the power handling of the cab shouldn't be a problem with the aforementioned speakers.

As always, any input is appreciated!
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Check with Dave at Avatar. Not too long ago, I bought 16-ohm (to create an 8-ohm 2x10 cab) Delta 10's from him for a good price.
  3. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    if you put two 8 ohmw speaker in parallel you'll have a 8 ohms home made cabs !

check it out !
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001

No. You won't.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You'll need two 16 ohm 10s to create an 8 ohm 2x10.

In all honesty, you can probably buy an Avatar B210 new or used or some other used 210 for what it would cost to make one...

Great prices can be had on used Carvin, Hartke, Avatar, Peavey (except I believe the 210TX are 4 ohms) and other brands.

Some guy in Seattle was selling an empty Avatar 210 on the Craiglist...

From the way he described it, I think it's priced too high, but you could always make an offer...

Good luck!!!
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    BZZT! Wrong. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms. Four 8 ohm speakers in series/parallel wiring is 8 ohms.

Deltas are usually a decent fit in any bass cab, though you would probably have to change the port tuning a bit.

PartsExpress.com's actual sale price beats the pants off of Avatar, and did a few months ago when I e-mailed for quotes . . .